Isuzu filler cap - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Isuzu filler cap
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:38 PM
Where in the world is the filler cap/neck for the gear oil on my Isuzu? Must be going blind at an early age..

Re: Isuzu filler cap
Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:12 AM
jack up the driver's side, pull the tire off, and look towards the trans.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:14 AM
On the back side of the trans, kind of underneath the brake booster. It may help to get a flashlight, it can be kind of hard to see - especially if it is covered in road grime.
Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:34 AM
Awesome, thanks guys
Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:15 PM
Also for the $6 for a new oem one (from dealer) you might as well replace it too. My original was white but the seal was really loose and I was worried that it would come off after changing the fluid. Sure enough it flew out and I got trans fluid all over my underside. The new one will also be red which makes it a lot easier to spot too for future service.
Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:11 AM
is there a way to make the actual isuzu n-body dipstick to work?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:58 PM
I have a 96 with the isuzu trans and it has a dip stick in it
Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:07 PM
My 98 has had a dipstick its whole life

Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:13 PM
All of my isuzu's have had dipsticks on them.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:04 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:is there a way to make the actual isuzu n-body dipstick to work?

Are you saying there is an extended dipstick for the n-bodies?

To the OP, if you look just under the stainless brake lines, and just above the shift linkage in this picture, you'll see a white plastic dipstick.

It looks like this...

It's a pain to get to, until you start cleaning up the engine bay. Switching to an aftermarket intake and deleting the ABS makes it much easier to get to.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:19 PM
my 99 has trans fluid dipstick as well...

and can be seen here... right on the left of the brake fluid reservoir

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:22 PM
Well damn... that's pretty nice. I'd probably check it more often if I had one... haha.

How is it fastened in? Does it just slide into the tranny and then have a bracket that connects to the exhaust tower?

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:26 PM
lol yea sorry, i meant dipstick you can actually remove easily from the top, etc. not the tiny 3 inch bastard hahaha

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:52 PM
This dipstick thing has me interested, lol. I have none, but now I kinda want one...

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:38 AM
It's held in by a plunger, when you rotate that top part on its hinge it pulls up on a rubber stopper and expands it to make it a snug fit in the trans. The plunger likes to fail but it's a $15 part to replace the dipstick at the dealer.

All of my Isuzu's and my NVG have one, and frankly I love having it. The F23 in my Cavalier not having one really really irks me.

When you remove it, clean it and check to ensure the plunger is working properly. They like to stop functioning and the dipstick likes to just fall out of the trans or leak fluid like a pig.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, February 13, 2012 9:41 AM
Do you have a PN for the N body dip stick and tube?

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:18 AM
I don't personally, I'm sorry. I've always run with the J-body dipsticks... I think I have a bag with a part # in the garage still from the last new one I got 5-6 years ago...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, February 13, 2012 10:41 AM
GM Parts Direct isn't getting me anywhere to find that part number. They don't even list a 5 speed transmission with the LD9... lol

Monday, February 13, 2012 11:48 AM
I'm not sure exactly where mine came from etc.. it was on the car when i bought it from Kurt. I DO know that it attaches via the black plate (part of the metal coolant line?) on the end of the exhaust cam tower.

Now that I think about it, it doesn't make sense how it was attached, because when I removed it to change the water outlet it was just a bolt with a nut going through the plate.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:06 PM
Part# 22599407 Oil Lvl Dipstick
Part# 22648156 Dipstick tube
Part# 25518260 dipsrick tube seal (basically the o-ring that seals the tube and trans hole)
Part# 11517518 bolt (to bolt dipstick tube to side of ld9/ld2)

***These parts are for a 1995-1998 Grand Am with the LD2/LD9 with the MJ1 Isuzu manual trans. I believe they would work with ours.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:07 PM
Thank you kind sir!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:27 PM

No problem.

*Edit* Numbers 88 to 91 are the parts. I will let you guess what is what. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:28 PM

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:41 PM
Thats cool, but I wouldnt get it. Im trying to find ways to hide my engine oil dipstick. lol

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:51 PM
$3.89 for the dipstick
$98.37 for the tube...

Screw that shyte!

Junkyard it is...

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:41 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Thats cool, but I wouldnt get it. Im trying to find ways to hide my engine oil dipstick. lol

put it where the chrome dont shine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search