Isuzu to Getrag Custom Mounts? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Isuzu to Getrag Custom Mounts?
Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:44 PM
anyone ever thought that instead of having to weld new mounts onto the frame rail for a Getrag swap in a 95-99 car it'd be cool to just have a set of mounts that you can just bolt in and go with? i dont know, maybe its not possible but in looking at some honda builds here recently they have a lot of options like this and i figured why the hell cant we do it, too?

it'd make doing the swap a hell of a lot easier AND instead of going from three trans options (isuzu, t550, hm282) down to just the one with the getrag swap you could have FOUR options. with these cars not getting any older and junk yards crushing cars daily having trans options would be best, right? all you would need would be the custom mounts and cable's/shifter for whichever setup you choose. i think it'd be cool....

seems plausible anyway.... thoughts?

mark, get on it, son!

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!

Re: Isuzu to Getrag Custom Mounts?
Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:18 PM
The frame rail in the J cars is not thick enough in the wall sections to support threads, so Nuts would have to be welded inside the frame rail or access holes drilled into the opposite side of the frame rail to support access with a socket. The problem with this is structural... At the very least a tube equal to the size of the hole linking the two sides of the frame rail should be welded in to reinstate the structural rigidity of the frame rail.

Never the less, I think its a horrible idea... the fact the new mounts do not require welding across the entire frame rail means it is a far more structurally sound and easy option...

C'mon people.. if you can't figure out a plan to make it work... don't try and make it work!

Now what I would like to see is a modularization of the mounts to accommodate several transmissions... Something like a permanent welded in attachment that has provisions to bolt adapters to adapt transmissions...

But who's going to change transmissions very often?

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:19 PM
If it were possible, I'd be down for a pair

Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:28 PM
I may be mistaken, but I believe the custom mount would be to bolt onto the tranny in place of the original so that you would be able to use the existing mounting point on the frame rail. That way there would be no modification (cutting, welding, ect,) to the original mounting point, but you would be able to mount the Getrag much easier.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:45 PM
I was going to look at an auto to manual mount but ran out of time and funds and had to sell the car. Maybe someday...

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:00 PM
I think its very possible to make something that would work...

Worth it though I doubt it. The rear mount moves back about 3" and the front mount moves back about 1".

I think it coul be donw but I do not believe the person making these mounts would ever make back their money. The swap is not hard at all.

I think it can be easily done in a weekend and if your in a hurry a long day. Now that ive done a set id be much faster the second time around.
Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:46 PM
well what im looking at is options. lets face it our tranny's ALL have their weaknesses, weather its syncros, lack of parts options and or expensive parts for replacement, etc and are not going to handle hundreds of passes down the strip, autocrossing etc so if i have XX trans done one summer ill use it til it blows, then swap back to the next one i have sitting around. that sort of thing.

basically i wanna run the getrag with a 4.40 FDR and possibly an OBX LSD but i want to be able to choose between what trans id like to use because i also have a 4.11 FDR with better gearing than the getrag and you can find them for penny's on the dollar in junkards. but on the other hand id love to be able to run an NVGT550 with a torsen LSD and w41 gears. i want the options so maybe this would be better for me to have made up custom for just me, who knows.

if we could find out if the NVG diff and getrag diff are the same i would run a getrag OBX LSD and 4.40 FDR in the NVGt550 and call it a day but nobody seems willing to take 5 minutes and measure them up to find out for sure LOL

Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:06 PM
I dont feel it would be hard really.

Just a matter of ning the two trannies up and measuring the differences and then designing a mount out of whatever metal you prefer. I think its a good idea for the interchangeability.

If you have a welder it may not be to bad tp play with it one weekend.
Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:19 PM
i would be interested for sure

Monday, January 23, 2012 7:21 AM
I would be interested in a rear mount to bolt a F23 into my 95-99.

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:24 PM
It probably would be that hard. You would need a unmodified 95-99 manual car and place the motor and getrag trans in the proper location and make a rough mount bolted to the frame and trans. Use the rough mount to make a proper jig and away they go.

I seriously thought about doing this when I did the swap but was in too much of a hurry to spend the time.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:00 PM
new idea.... forget a universal mount.

how about making BOTH styles REMOVABLE and bolt-in versus welded?

how about that?

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:06 PM
See my post...

Thursday, February 02, 2012 5:42 AM
not worried about having to do that. if the frame rail is so weak i dont think it would even hold the welded on ones. but if it starts to fall apart ill go ahead and weld in some strength just for you LOL

Thursday, February 02, 2012 11:03 AM
Its more about getting a socket on the bolts themselves and mounting the mounts on two perpendicular surfaces without welding than it is about strength

Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:32 PM
while i didnt look at my setup for very long i did see place where you could bolt it down. it'd be a whore to get ur arm down into the frame rail to hold the nut or stud, etc but i could be done. its not impossible...

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:21 AM
Over a month old but I just want to say it wont work. I tried. Getrag gear selector sits right where the rear Isuzu mount bracket sits.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:46 AM
yea while looking at it i thought that might be an issue.

ol well, was a nice thought.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search