Swapped in an isuzu, new build go getrag? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swapped in an isuzu, new build go getrag?
Monday, January 23, 2012 7:34 PM
I have a 98 Cav that I swapped in a isuzu 5 speed. Great mod, woke the car right up and helped with my purposes for the car.

My 98 got hit pretty hard, just bought a 99 with less miles and am pulling the 2200 out for just a small build.

Have +1 valves, rollers, sending the cam for a mild grind, port and polish the head, header, tb and freshen up bottom end. Only going for 15ish hp gain, not expecting a ton.

My isuzu trans had about 160k on it when I swapped, I have pout about 10k on it. Grinds into first, shifts poorly when cold, hates going into reverse etc.

For the new car I have to weld in mounts regardless, and I need a clutch, mine is knocking when the clutch pedal is out. I have noticed a good LUK clutch is more money for a getrag than a isuzu trans.

At this point is it worth building the isuzu, or should I just go getrag?

Some threads have people defending the isuzu, and I already have it. But I want to drop this motor in and go 3-5 years without touching it. Would really like smoother shifting.

Any advice?
Thanks guys!!

Re: Swapped in an isuzu, new build go getrag?
Monday, January 23, 2012 7:44 PM
I vote Getrag and if you have to weld mounts anyways, might aswell swap it anyways. A few guys swear by their isuzu but everyone knows that the getrag is the better tranny.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Re: Swapped in an isuzu, new build go getrag?
Monday, January 23, 2012 7:53 PM
your choice. both will last over 3 years. Im on my original isuzu in my 95. just had to replace the clutch, but the getrag does shift better... compared to mine... Mine does not grind, but it likes to not go into gear the first time once in a blue moon. (2 or three times a year)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search