trans help please!! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
trans help please!!
Friday, January 27, 2012 10:10 PM
I have a 99 z24 convertible with the 4 speed auto trans. When I was leaving school today it was really hard to get out of park, I had to force it into drive and I was able to get home, the shifter was super hard to move through the gears and when I got home it wouldn't go back into park, when clicked into the park position the car was still in reverse, so I put the e-brake on and turned the car off, I had to put the car in neutral to start it so I could go to work (it was still very hard to move). Once in drive the car drove fine, it shifted smoothly and sounded fine, when playing with it after work I was moving it up and down through the gears to see if it would loosen up and then I heard a snap and the the shifter would just move freely with no resistance leaving the car stuck in reverse. The shifter is obviously not linking to the trans properly/anymore. Is it the shifter linkage? or something along those lines? Please let me know what you think or point me in the direction of an existing thread, I already did some searching but didn't come up with much. Any input is greatly appreciated as I'd like to drive my car soon...

Thanks, Nicholas

Re: trans help please!!
Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:35 AM
Probably busted the shift cable.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:05 AM
That's what I was thinking. How does one go about replacing it? I'm assuming I'll have to take the center counsel apart...
Sunday, January 29, 2012 5:57 PM
3 of 10 on skill level is required. It's pretty easy.

I think you're supposed to put the trans in N when you do it. (I think you rotate the lever clockwise for that) It's actually pretty easy to change the cable.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:51 PM
yeah, I ended up doing it on saturday night, it really wasn't bad at all, I put it on in park, didn't seem to make much of a difference...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search