Isuzu to Getrag swap with lots of pics!! - Page 4 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Isuzu to Getrag swap with lots of pics!!
Wednesday, February 01, 2012 6:47 AM
Its been a while, but I BELIEVE you can keep the same flywheel with your 3800, but you will need the 2000+ clutch and throwout bearing.
As for the front mount, I have done 3 isuzu-getrag swaps where I trimmed and redrilled the Isuzu front bracket without any issues. A couple of them have 3400s in them. They have been on the road for 5 years now aswell.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:46 AM
Thanks GTP Sunfire... I was going to replace the clutch and both slaves anyway. Getting a V8 Clutch disc with the Getrag spline insert.
What did you guys do about the brake lines ? Mine run right across where the new mount goes.
Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:02 AM
I just pushed mine back towards the firewall to clear the mount. Mine fell directly in front of the mount. I also don't have have abs so it was easy to move them.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 2:22 PM
V8 clutch disc? Havent heard of doing that before. For the 3800sc swap I did, I used a bully stage 3 clutch from a 200-2002 2.2 non eco engine.
As for the brake lines, they are fine to just be moved back a little, no need to re-route them.

Thursday, February 02, 2012 6:26 PM
I used a SPEC Stage 3 Clutch with the 6-puck Kevlar Disc. Ate the flywheel and pressure plate up. Going to use a composite Clutch disc in the larger diameter. I pulled a smallblock cutch assembly from a Camaro to make sure it cleared the tranny housing.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:20 PM
So can anybody tell me if this looks right? I know my auto tranny mount isnt fully off yet, but even if I put this getrag mount on a flat surface, it is still not straight at all.

Angles back to towards the firewall

Phylly D's mount

Is this a correct angle cut?
My mount, WTF! Why is there so much more material in back of the big hole on top that you see? Does it have to be modified?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:25 PM
It shouldn't have to be modified. Mine I just leveled and welded on like the pics show. The frame rail should be all smooth though.

I think you may b overlooking something but its hard to tell when im not there to see it.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:45 PM
Figured it out, thanks Jason!! LOL

306 TQ
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:53 PM
The lip from the flat surface extends farther forward on autos than it does manuals. I had to trim it down so I could fit the rear bracket in

Trim this back a bit ^

Now on jack stands
Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:03 AM
Thanks Nic, will do. Im just a dumb ass, that is what threw me off and I had the mount in front of that lip, instead of up under it HA.

306 TQ
Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:53 AM
OEM wrote:I need the dimension for the front mount. I know the rear is 8" off the firewall, what is the front TTR mount supposed to be?

Mark

Mark did you ever figure this out? Lenkos website is down that had the info in it.

306 TQ

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:16 PM
What I do:

Place the rear bracket, tack weld on. Place the rear tranny mount in the rear bracket, and align with the bolt. place the front tranny bracket on the front tranny mount, align with the bolt. Then support the tranny and raise into position. place the front bracket on the frame. This ensures the spacing is perfect and lines up beteween the 2 brackets

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, July 13, 2012 4:00 PM
^^What he said....

Read the first page man.....I did exactly that
Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:35 AM
Thanks fellas

306 TQ
Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:32 AM
This swap is not going good for me at all. I had the 3800SC-V6 mounted to an Isuzu MK7 tranny originally. It worked great leaving the MK7 bolted in the factory position. Here's my dilemia. If I put the rear bracket 8" away from the firewall as shown in this thread, the engine is angled a little. If I move it to 7 1/2", the engine is back where it was with the MK7. The problem with this is that the output of the Getrag F23 (M86) is 2" off center to the front of the Wheel Hubs angling the CV axles badly to me. If I try to move the tranny back to center this, the rear tranny mount gets into the steering u-joint. I din't have this issue with the MK7.

Could I have the wrong tranny (shows F23 cast into the top of the tranny and the OBX LSD fit right in), or the wrong mounts (Doubt it. I got them from TeamGreen - Brian). What else could be wrong
Help me make the call here... Please...
Monday, July 16, 2012 9:15 AM
Help... Please ???
Monday, July 16, 2012 7:29 PM
Picks maybe? Maybe the mount needs to be raised or lowered a tad? I've done a few Isuzu to Getrag swaps and never noticed a change in engine position. Actually, the first I did, I measured engine position with the Isuzu bolted up, swapped trans, and jacked engine back up and positioned it in the exact same spot. Cutting and bending metal as I went, till it fit perfect. Drilled new front mount hole, cut out rear mount bracket, placed new bracket in and tac welded it in place. Dropped trans back out, fully welded in new bracket, painted it up, and put everything back in. Done. Better than OEM

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:11 PM
Gonna be doing this, I think, due to my garbage 3rd gear synchro. I just hate this transmission so hard. The Getrag feels so nice in my '01. A guy I know that rebuilt like 6 or so classic cars from the ground up couldn't believe a car with over 120k miles shifted that good. And I beat the crap out of that car for almost 4.5 years lol. The Isuzu doesn't feel as smooth and it has about 40k less miles than my '01's Getrag. Gonna start looking for a transmission to pull from a yard.

So according to my maths and specs of these trannies, on stock Z24 wheels w/ 205/45R16 tires, I'll be doing 80MPH in 5th gear at 3125RPM with the Getrag, where I'd be at 3075RPM with the Isuzu. This is probably off because I was at like 3200RPM or so with my Isuzu on a 2.5 hour highway drive this weekend.

This makes me sad on a fuel efficiency aspect because my '01 base with the Getrag would (mathematically speaking) do 80MPH at 2950RPM, just because the entire wheel diameter of the 14in wheels is 24.75in and the 16's are 23.26in lol. Needless to say it wasn't nearly as fuel efficient as the drive in my '01. Then again a few pulls to 108MPH were necessary and added to my amusement on such a long haul.

On the side of performance, this is awesome because the car already pulls uphill at 30MPH in 5th gear like nobody's business, and with shorter gears in the Getrag it'll only get quicker.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:40 PM
So since I'm going junkyard hopping soon, I had a couple questions concerning this swap. Are 2200 and 2.4 bellhousings the same? I think I remember reading the Ecotec is different. Also, wouldn't it just be simpler to rip a K-frame off the donor car to use for proper mounting?

Also, clutch/flywheel, and shifter assembly, right?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:57 PM
K-frames are all the same for all the cav/fires (except some minor changes in 03) and has nothing to do with the k frame.

Look at the pics in my original post. Im welding on the actual frame of the car.

As for bell housings I dont know.
Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:09 PM
Bellhousings are different for each motor.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 12:37 AM
Thanks and DSM. Will be looking for a 00+ LD9 donor then.

Phil, how does the shifter feel with the Getrag? I recently drove my '01 base model and felt like the clutch pedal and shifter was very spongy compared to my '98 Z. The clutch I can understand because the Z's is brand new while the '01 has at least 30k on it. I just don't want to lose that firm responsive shift I get in the Z. Like you feel it click into gear (besides my crummy third).

Sunday, December 09, 2012 5:37 AM
I prefer the Getrag.

Ive had 2 of each and they all have had B&M shifters.
Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:28 AM
Getrag x2 and the belt housing is different between ohv, quad and eco.
Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:19 PM
Maybe the shifter on my '01 is just getting sloppy in it's old age. Thanks for the feedback guys. Also, this thread should be stickied.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search