3rd gear synchro -- 07 cobalt ss - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3rd gear synchro -- 07 cobalt ss
Thursday, February 02, 2012 9:12 PM
Just bought 2007 chevy cobalt ss today, i was driving home and the shifter pops out of 3rd gear with just a flick or if i go over big bump. I have an extended warranty on the cobalt , should it be covered? If not, what should i do?

Re: 3rd gear synchro -- 07 cobalt ss
Thursday, February 02, 2012 9:44 PM
You said you got a warentee still so, bring it into the dealer........no need for a double post either.

Friday, February 03, 2012 6:59 AM
chill with the double post and on the warentee sheet it says it doesent cover trans and drivetrain ect... so i was wondering you think they would cover it due to the fact that i just bought it, if not what should i do?
Friday, February 03, 2012 8:32 AM
Did you test drive the car before purchasing it? How long have you had it? I'd go back to the dealer talk to a service writer and see what they can do for you, if they say your s.o.l. I wouldn't be against raising my voice in front of customers asking why a car you just purchased has trans issues and they're refusing to do anything about it......worth a shot if all else fails. My 01 cav had an extended warentee and they covered a replacement trans when the diff let go on the highway. I had a 250 deductible though and if your extended warentte didn't cover drive train why didn't you post that info?. And double posting is against the rules, You'll get a quick response as long as you don't post in the Nitrous forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, February 03, 2012 8:37 AM

Friday, February 03, 2012 11:46 AM
JUCNBST wrote:Did you test drive the car before purchasing it? How long have you had it? I'd go back to the dealer talk to a service writer and see what they can do for you, if they say your s.o.l. I wouldn't be against raising my voice in front of customers asking why a car you just purchased has trans issues and they're refusing to do anything about it......worth a shot if all else fails. My 01 cav had an extended warentee and they covered a replacement trans when the diff let go on the highway. I had a 250 deductible though and if your extended warentte didn't cover drive train why didn't you post that info?. And double posting is against the rules, You'll get a quick response as long as you don't post in the Nitrous forum.

id do this aswell.

Friday, February 03, 2012 7:43 PM
i didnt know i couldnt do double post sry and i did test drive the car and i litterly drove the car no more than 5 miles and i got on the interstate and went through the gears seemed fine and then we turned around cause he said they dont want it drove for a long period of time. i bought the car, and on my way home it fell out of third and then i noticed when i let off the gas it would make a grinding noise. so when i got home,drove it around town and went throught the gears and everything and felt how the clutch was and it felt like something was off so i took it to my manchanic and he took it for a drive and said tran is shot 3rd syncro is out 4 is going to go out soon reverse is going to go out and clutch is shot. took it back to dealer and they said they are going to try and fix it and see whats wrong with it and they gave me a rental. but on my warrenty it says they dont fix tran clutches drive train ect.. cause that is normal wear and tear. i told them i want my money back i had the car for less then 12hrs off the lot after purchas.
Saturday, February 04, 2012 7:06 AM
Normally the clutch isn't included because it's a wear item but they might replace syncos or the trans since you just bought it. How many miles does the car have? You might want to get a fresh clutch in there since it will be apart.

Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:07 AM
isnt this j-body.org?

pretty sure cobaltss.net would be a better place to ask this...

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:42 AM
I thought most of the time when you buy newer pre owned cars at a dealer, they offer you a 100 or something point inspection, did they not check the clutch? It is a wear item but if it was almost done, then the dealership should have fixed it before they sold it. The other issues could of "just" happened or could of been like that before but you never noticed them. I would fight with them and if they give you any hassle, demand your money back, call up your troubleshooter, Im sure the dealership would want a bad name for themselves, if it was a month or two after or even few weeks, I would say you are SOL, but since it was on way home, I would fight for it to be fixed or money back.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:35 AM
Okay, so a salesman who was trying to sell you on the car told you after everything was going fine to return to the dealer cause they did'nt want it driven for an extended period of time and the warranty expressed that the drivetrain (something that is usually always covered before anything else) was not covered you still bought the car?

I'm sorry, but there is a certain part of me that says buyer beware dude... That would throw big flags for me... especially in a car that you KNOW has been beaten on.

On the other side of it...Laws prevent idiots like you from screwing themselves over and in some states like illinois you are protected from incidences like this for 30 days after purchase.

I would have them check the shift cable adjustments too... Popping out of gear is indicative of a bad speed gear or synchronizer hub...not a "synchro" (the correct term being blocking ring)... your mechanic is obviously just as thick as you are.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search