Swap Saturn Vue MG3 trans into ecotec Cavalier? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swap Saturn Vue MG3 trans into ecotec Cavalier?
Monday, February 13, 2012 10:31 PM
I am looking to see if anyone has swapped the entire mg3 (4:41 FDR) trans out of a Saturn Vue into an 02 ecotec powered cavalier, or similar. I have heard that the case is different, but have also heard that it is just bolt bosses that aren't drilled for mounts. I want this gear ratio for a 4 cyl stock car and would rather not split the case and swap the ring and entire output shaft.

Re: Swap Saturn Vue MG3 trans into ecotec Cavalier?
Monday, February 13, 2012 10:38 PM
the entire internals would have to be swapped from one case to another, or custom mounts would have to be fabbed up

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:51 AM
wikipedia claims they have the same final drive. Assuming wiki is wrong I dont think you will have to swap everything if you can get the pinion gear off of the output shaft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:51 AM

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:52 PM
I believe getting the pinion gear off of the shaft requires removal of the entire shaft. At that point, it would probably be easier to just pull the input side also, and swap both rather than press gears off and on. That being said...
This is going into a 4 cylinder stock car, so if I must fab a mount, that is almost a non issue. Anybody know if the mount is the only issue?
I have found an old ad for a cav for sale that claimed to have an MG3 in it. There was no info on specifics to the swap. Does anyone know if the shift cables from the cav will work, and if the slave cylinder will work also?
Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:56 PM
I should also say, that I would just go look at one, but I can't find one in my immediate area. I want to determine the feasability of this before ordering one through the salvage yard.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search