How hard to do a trans rebuild? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How hard to do a trans rebuild?
Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:37 PM
Just to start with the basics. I have a 97 Z with the Isuzu. Runs great, I love it. Just got new tires and they're super sticky. CAI and headers just came in will be put on soon.

However the weak point seems to be the clutch. It's slipping and it's annoying. It wasn't very noticeable with the super bald tires I had before but now that my car is hooking up nicely and I can feel being "pressed" in my chair for once is a nice change. But I notice the clutch is slipping badly...holding me back for sure. Next is I am the 3rd maybe even the 4th owner of this car (I traded a laptop for it last year and fell in love with it). So I am the probably 4th person to learn how to drive a manual in it (I know the guy before me learned on it).

So on that note, Since I overhauled pretty much most things in the car, I figure before I put in the extra 2.5hp mods I should at least rebuild the trans.

From the forum search it seems like I can have it done at a shop for ~$500. But I like to do work on my own car because then I get to know how it works. Which is very rewarding. And I can get a rebuild kit and clutch for much less then that.

So who's done it, how hard was it, and would you do it again?

Thanks for all your time guys. Pics to come!

Re: How hard to do a trans rebuild?
Friday, February 17, 2012 9:53 PM
If it's not broke don't fix it. Unless you're putting some kind of LSD in it I wouldn't open up the trans.
Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:11 PM
You keep switching back and forth and I can't follow you, are you just looking for how to remove the transmission to replace the clutch, or actually disassemble it and replace synchros and bearings etc?

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:45 AM
I'm confused. If your car is now "throwing you back in your seat" with the new tires... How is the clutch slipping? Those are sort of two opposing concepts...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:47 PM
LOL. I apologize for the confusing post. In my non-sober attempt to be clear I obviously was not.

The car is not by any means "fast" but for the first time since I've owned it, I can actually feel it "moving".
this is also the slowest car I have ever owned. But it is a very fun car to drive (mainly because of standard)

My QUESTION is, how would someone with moderate technical knowledge fair against a job like a trans rebuild? As for the LSD comment who knows? I've sunk a lot of money into this thing already.

My PROBLEM is that at when I start driving it hard the clutch slips pretty bad and now even normal driving in 4th gear if I get a little gas happy the clutch will slip and let the engine get a little happy but the car is not moving at the matching pace of the RPM's.

I have done internal engine work in the past and have done many things from complete cooling system overhaul's (from radior to hoses all the way through the hoses and waterpumps, fuelsystems (pump, hoses all the way through to the pressure reg and injectors). To even axle swaps. turning wrenches is not new to me.

However I have never even opened up a trans. Ever. Only drain and fill for maintenance.
this is not my only vehicle but so i can have it down for sometime too.

thanks for taking the time to read and respond guys. I appreciate it.
This is not my only vehicle so
Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:50 PM
JerseyJayL61T wrote:I'm confused. If your car is now "throwing you back in your seat" with the new tires... How is the clutch slipping? Those are sort of two opposing concepts...
when the clutch is only slightly warm it sometimes "bites" perfectly and I get that nice torquey launch, but then sometimes it lets go halfway in and I make the peter-griffen "awwww"
Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:56 PM
Here's a bit of a how to on the rebuild, it should give you an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=47341&t=47066

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, February 20, 2012 8:02 AM
Thanks Transporter. I'll let you guys know in a few weeks. Just going to do some research on the forum and such for parts and such and possible upgrade paths. =D
Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:35 PM
how about the 1 piece sunchro
will the overhaul kit with the 1 piece works for the isuzu?

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:49 PM
I ordered bearings and synchros separately when I bought mine. You'd have to talk to the guys at Drivetrain.com.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:54 PM
they are not responding....
the only reply i got is the one i sent you on PM
after that, they didn't

Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:05 PM
do you know how many teeth there is on the 1st and 2nd gear that works with the 1 piece synchro?

Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:31 PM
All the info I have is in this thread.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=45595&t=45420

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search