97 Sunfire GT 5 speed HELP!!! 5th gear - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Sunfire GT 5 speed HELP!!! 5th gear
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:21 PM
Hi I just recently purchased a 97 sunfire get with 130k. I just got this a few days ago and while doing the oil change I noticed that there was oil on the rear side of the motor on the pan. Also on the axles. I figured it might have a bad oil leak so I wiped down everything that I could, changed the oil. Also I noticed 5th gear seemed it never felt like it fully clicked into gear like 1-4 and reverse every since I got the car. And after driving it for a few days now the trans doesn't want to go into 5th. Then I found out it was missing the oil plug for the trans where you would fill it up. I went and got a new plug and a bottle of syncomesh oil for the trans and put it in. Afterwords the trans seemed shift even better but 5th gear still is giving me trouble. When I try to put it in it feel like its isn't going all the way in gear, and as I let off the clutch the shifter pops out. If i try holding the stick in as I let off it starts to grind, not hard but as if I'm trying to put it in gear without the clutch released. I'm hoping i didn't destroy the syncros for 5th but I'm not 100% sure at this point. But the fact that it never quite felt like it was fully in gear even before it started popping out makes me think the cables to 5th might be worn? I was able to get in 5th gear for the most part it seemed from under the hood bypassing the cables by moving the shifter on the trans by hand. Also is this trans the Isuzu trans, if the trans turns out to be bad can I swap it for a newer 5 speed that is better? I'm hoping its just the cables but I have not yet took apart the center console to get to the linkage yet. Please if anyone has any ideas or info please help. Heres my cell too to get ahold of me. 951-836-1987 I live in the socal area.

Re: 97 Sunfire GT 5 speed HELP!!! 5th gear
Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:05 AM
please try not to double post. it is not something that the mods like much.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 12:39 PM
I'm trying to find as much help as I can, not like it hurts you. How about instead of nagging me, give me some useful ideas or tips. Not like I'm on here trying to sell some POS car or troll around. I'm just looking for ideas and answers so I posted in two sections that are pretty valid. Not everyone looks into every forum at every post so having it in the two helps me out.
Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:03 PM
No he is right. You signed up for the site.... Im betting you didnt read the rules... in it there is a rule that says no double posting. You want help, make the one post and wait. If people know the answer they will post it up.

Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:53 AM
Such a nice and helpful community hear.
Saturday, March 03, 2012 11:48 PM
FWIW, sounds to me like the cables may be stretched. Get new ones from the dealer.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:23 AM
Tom,

5th is the only gear in the tranny that can be replaced without splitting the case. With a jack under the engine/tranny you may even be able to get the 5th gear cover off by removing the two tranny mounts and lowering the engine/tranny with the jack.

5th gear is lubricated by a "scoop" from inside the case for the primary shaft and tube inside the secondary shaft. 5th gear is more or less a "tacked on" gear to what originally was a 4 speed. Honda has done it the same way in the old Accords.

All that said, if you've been running without proper lube, 5th will be the first to go, but you probably need another tranny. They can be had for $150 in the Knoxville TN area. Don't know about so cal.

It's not that bad a trans if it's taken good care of. I actually have the entire gearset from a 93 Geo Storm Gsi, including the 4.12 Final drive ratio in my 95 cav 2.2 OHV.

It has the better gears, close ratio, 4.12 fdr, and the better spiders.

good luck with it...
dennis
Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:57 AM
Thanks for the info, being the fact all the gears work and shift good except the 5th. I think the cables are good still, bit this new info how 5th is added more or less sounds about right why it started to go bad 1st. As for the internals from the geo storm will that work in my trans? Maybe cost less for me to swap onto and rebuild then getting a rebuild kot for mine which i found cost upwards of 300-400the bucks online. And thats only with seals and and syncros, seems expensie. I dont have tje time to pull the whole motor and cut and weld for the getrag transfer sp tjats not a option. Plus i dont have a lot of cash to spend either. Maybe theres somone in socal that did the swap and has the old trans i need. If anyone has any ideas id greatly appreciate any info on a cheap swap or cheap rebuild parts. Thanks again btw for your guys help.
Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:52 AM
Wow my spelling was horrible in that last post, but then again maybe I shouldn't have replied with my cell phone ha. Anyways thanks again for the info so far, and once more if anyone that is in Cali that swapped out their Isuzu trans already and has a old one still please let me know. Or where I can find the parts I need cheap or a different trans I can take the internals out from.
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:36 AM
Tom, another thing to check is the actual shifting mechanism on top of the transmission where the cables attach. They have a shaft which can get misformed if abused, and there may simply be a low spot in the channel where it pushes down for fifth gear. The whole mechanism will unbolt easily from the transmission and another one can be bolted on. Don't bother trying to get a new one, though. If they still sell them, they're stupid expensive. The shaft itself is like $100.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 4:00 PM
I'm curious if he's got enough transmission fluid, if he only put one bottle in, it could still be not full enough and 5th just doesn't have enough fluid. The "hole" on top has a dipstick, check the level with the car off and level.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search