Difficult to shift? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Difficult to shift?
Monday, March 12, 2012 2:08 PM
Just as it says, difficult to shift.. 2005 Sunfire, just changed the transmission fluid and it is still the same, put 1.7 quarts of synthetic in and I still need to apply pressure before it gets back into 1st, its like its sticky. My friend even drove it and said its hard to shift, he owns a yaris. Solutions?

Re: Difficult to shift?
Monday, March 12, 2012 2:37 PM
difficult to shift into all gears? or just first? the trans is known to be hard into first and reverse. solution. bring it into second then slide it right up into first. and solution for reverse, shift to 5th first, then down into reverse. has something to do with the way the gears are set and positioned. also, there is a TSB from GM to over fill the trans to 2.8 qts of dex 3 ATF. IMO synthetic in a manual trans is useless. it is only a lubricant.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:24 PM
Most of all gears.. And I always slide it into the corresponding gear, never jumping gears. I gets annoying sometimes.. Like one time I was at a light and didnt have it in gear, the light changed, people honked cause I didnt pay attention. And just to add to it, it wouldnt get into first for like 5 seconds. Of course I ripped it when I took though..
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:03 PM
What transmission fluid did you put in???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:30 PM
Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.. the oil that came out wasnt in bad condition either.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:00 PM
Try lubricating the shift mechanism on the transmission with Superlube. And take the shifter boot off, clean and grease the shifter. Remove the collar that holds it together, CLEAN AND GREASE EVERYTHING!!!! The shifter and ball/cup are all plastic and wear out quickly if the grease dries up. And GM doesnt use alot of it in there anyways. Use a good lightweight synthetic grease. It'll make a world of difference.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search