02 auto to manual questions - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
02 auto to manual questions
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:10 PM
I have an 02 2.2 that I am making a race car and have to put a 5 speed in it...what will I have to do as far as ecu and other changes ....other than the obvious pedals and cables. Can u disable the neutral safety switch?

Re: 02 auto to manual questions
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:21 PM
Are you making a drag car or a track car. Because for drag racing auto in my mind is the way to go. Look at it this way. The NHRA top fuel funny cars and dragsters are auto. Trust me man, I've looked into making my cav a stick. And priced it at about 2-3 grand, for me that's not really worth it.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:26 PM
Ryan Levesque wrote:Are you making a drag car or a track car. Because for drag racing auto in my mind is the way to go. Look at it this way. The NHRA top fuel funny cars and dragsters are auto. Trust me man, I've looked into making my cav a stick. And priced it at about 2-3 grand, for me that's not really worth it.

NHRA Top Fuel and funny car's don't have transmissions silly.. its clutch, driveshaft, rear end... no shifting gears. They would never hold up to that

I think he is talking about maybe a circle track race car... thats mostly what J body "race cars" are for.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:45 AM
Yeah its a circle track car...I have a tranny and all the pedals and cables was just wondering what I would need to do for and ecu. Can I just pull one ofout of another car or does it have to be reprogrammed and all that jazz? Thanks for the input.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:25 PM
jayson criss wrote:Yeah its a circle track car...I have a tranny and all the pedals and cables was just wondering what I would need to do for and ecu. Can I just pull one ofout of another car or does it have to be reprogrammed and all that jazz? Thanks for the input.

IF you check out my conversion thread which is in the trans forum under 4t40E to getrag swap I have alot of information that would be useful for you as far as converting the neutral safety to the clutch safety and other wiring so things like brake lights work.

The auto ecu can be used but it will not allow an accurate speed reading unless you have it reprogrammed with something like HP Tuners... basically most FDR's do not match up between auto and manual. But who needs a speedometer when your racing? If your looking at the speedo your going too slow. You will also likely have a few lights on, such as the CEL.

It will run the car though

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search