Transmission shot? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission shot?
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:54 AM
05 cavalier, at, 125000 miles. Tranny has never been replaced or rebuilt. It's my girls car and she's saying it shifts very hard, I've heard it, and it's like a thud. A noticeable one. Shifting into every gear. Happened about a year ago, but stopped, and now it's doing it again, all the time rather than randomly like before. She says when she pulls over and turns the car off it stops. But then happens again a few minutes later. Not sure if it's the tranny going or what, but it definitely sounds like it to me. Any thoughts?

Re: Transmission shot?
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:01 PM
Check the fluid level, or just go ahead and do a transmission service. Also check for any stored trouble codes in the computer. (Check engine light) Sometimes the IAT sensor can go screwy and mess with the shifting of the transmission.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Re: Transmission shot?
Friday, March 16, 2012 1:24 AM
^ True on the IAT sensor. Have seen it causing a problem before, CEL wasn't on but there was a code stored in the computer for it.

X2 on having a trans service done.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search