Synchromesh Fluid Discolor - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Synchromesh Fluid Discolor
Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:00 PM
Hello i have been looking all over the web and cant find anything really on the nature of synchromesh that you put in your manual trans. I added some yesterday and when i checked it the fluid looked like a normal oil color after adding some in i drove it for about 15 min to see if it would help out the grinding noise when down shifting. Well when i went to check the fluid again the fluid was milky white. does synchromesh when hot turn a white milky color or do i have moisture in my manual transmission?

Re: Synchromesh Fluid Discolor
Monday, March 19, 2012 12:13 PM
I never remember seeing a milky color in my isuzu tranny back in the day.

I can saying that draining the tranny and doing completely new fluid makes a nice change in the way it shifts. I would recommend draining and start fresh.

FU Tuning

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:54 PM
dude your the effing man i gotta change it one more time but after changing it it shifts WAY WAY better has a slight slight grind in 3rd but thats because theres still essence of the white stuff in it one more change i think it will be perfect your the man dude
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:57 AM
Unless the white milky appearance is coming from air in the fluid, you shouldn't have moisture inside your transmission. If you do, it could be a porous casting letting it in, or you have an air leak somewhere allowing it in.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:02 PM
well i drained it twice and it runs a hell of a lot better drove in the middle of town and didnt grind a single gear. i think the fluid may have gone bad when the car sat for 9 months on jack stands with the hood off
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:36 PM
^^^^ Well that's definitely a detail that should have been shared earlier. Yeah, sounds like water contamination was the problem. In the future, don't leave it exposed for 9 months.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:12 AM
lol well i though i was gonna have the motor in like a month but oh well im just glad it dont grind lol
Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:55 AM
hey guys ive never changed the manual transmission fuid on my getrag 5speed, am i still able to change the fluid, ive had the clutch and master cylinder changed so im not sure if they drained the tranny and refilled it, im i ok to drain and refill with a synthetic?

Modding my j since I found the org
Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:55 AM
alejandro davila wrote:hey guys ive never changed the manual transmission fuid on my getrag 5speed, am i still able to change the fluid, ive had the clutch and master cylinder changed so im not sure if they drained the tranny and refilled it, im i ok to drain and refill with a synthetic?

They would have had to drained at least some of the fluid to replace the clutch.

yes you can replace it.

2 qts of any ATF (Getrag)

I'm running Royal Purple synthetic ATF.

B&M is nice, and so is the hurst syn ATF.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:10 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
alejandro davila wrote:hey guys ive never changed the manual transmission fuid on my getrag 5speed, am i still able to change the fluid, ive had the clutch and master cylinder changed so im not sure if they drained the tranny and refilled it, im i ok to drain and refill with a synthetic?

They would have had to drained at least some of the fluid to replace the clutch.

yes you can replace it.

2 qts of any ATF (Getrag)

I'm running Royal Purple synthetic ATF.

B&M is nice, and so is the hurst syn ATF.

GM released a TSB that says 2.8 qt's just so you know.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search