Buying new clutch: AC Delco or LuK?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Buying new clutch: AC Delco or LuK??
Monday, April 09, 2012 1:48 PM
So here's my dilemma now. I am not putting another aftermarket napa clutch in my car, ever again. I do however have to decide which clutch kit I am going to use. This is the 4th time I will have the transmission out to repair defective parts, so this time I wanna put good parts on. I have a choice between LUK or AC DELCO. The LUK kit is 380$, and the AC DELCO kit is 440$. What do you's recommend?

Re: Buying new clutch: AC Delco or LuK??
Monday, April 09, 2012 2:02 PM
I got my oem exedy clutch kit for $180 shipped from Ebay. The one that I took out of the car had 80k in it and never slipped and I sprayed it and put boost to it!

Part #gmk1000

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Monday, April 09, 2012 2:25 PM
I called gm for a price. They don't list an oem clutch anymore. Gm doesnt even have a full kit. They wanted 530$ for a pressure plate, and 480$ for the slave cylinder. The guy who I talked to at GM gave me a phone number for a place that sells AC DELCO clutches (funny they don't). Thats where I got that price. Im not 100% sure, but I think the clutch kit I got from napa was an exedy. If it was, I don't want another one :S

Monday, April 09, 2012 3:13 PM
I have to admit, I've had good luck with Autozone's Duralast clutches. Currently using an ACT Pressure plate with a Duralast Clutch Disc and all works great.

Monday, April 09, 2012 4:39 PM
LuK.

Error: Sig not found.

Monday, April 09, 2012 6:33 PM
KY... We have sold a ton of them...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:19 AM
Gmk1000 (oem exedy) is the whole kit. Clutch, pressure plate, tob, alignment tool for $180 shipped from Ebay.

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:16 AM
I just called KY Clutches...and within the first 5 seconds of the call i've decided I don't want a KY clutch. The guy who answered sounded like he was $hit-faced drunk, and after I asked the first question, he hung up on me.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:06 AM
^^ WTH lol.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:09 AM
Yeah...thats what I said.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:16 AM
Luk.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:39 AM
Ok I think i'm going with the LuK. I was also wondering if anyone knows what else I may be able to change when my tranny is out. Is it possible to change the rear crank seal without any special tools? as well as the pilot bearing..? or even the main seal on the tranny?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:31 AM
Duke wrote:I just called KY Clutches...and within the first 5 seconds of the call i've decided I don't want a KY clutch. The guy who answered sounded like he was $hit-faced drunk, and after I asked the first question, he hung up on me.

KY does not have a shelf stock clutch for the 2.4L. We helped KY develop the Ecotec Clutch kits. They are southern, and have a strong accent, they are not drunk. Also contact us with questions, not them direct...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:04 PM
I went with a Luk. Im a bit questionable about something that was recently in development...I had enough issues with perfection clutch kits and they've supposidly been in business for years. Plus...arent KY clutches all rebuilt? Btw it was fairly obvious that the rep I spoke to was from the south...nevertheless he still sounded really drunk. He did hang up on me too, which was kind of odd if you ask me.

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:19 AM
Duke wrote:I went with a Luk. Im a bit questionable about something that was recently in development...I had enough issues with perfection clutch kits and they've supposidly been in business for years. Plus...arent KY clutches all rebuilt? Btw it was fairly obvious that the rep I spoke to was from the south...nevertheless he still sounded really drunk. He did hang up on me too, which was kind of odd if you ask me.

Please tell me where you have ever heard or read they are re built. This is 100% false information.

KY dont charge $100 per hour to build kits. They are a smaller shop, that uses top of the line primium parts, and dont put a 50% markup on them. They work for a living, just like any of us

But we have the ecotec kits working perfect. If anyone is ever interested in a 2.4L kit, let us know, we can get one custom built, and you will be very happy with it.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search