5 speed swap wiring discussion - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5 speed swap wiring discussion
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:18 PM
Sorta a quick question. Pretty well have all the knowledge in the mechanical side of the swap, can't really wrap my head around the wiring part, searched and talked to a few people but never really got a straight answer

00 up 5 speed swap, would like to keep the interior harness so the stock bcm can stay as-well as the alarm system. but if it really has to be changed it can. Whats the best quickest(but reliable) way to re-wire for a 5 speed?

thanks

Re: 5 speed swap wiring discussion
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:56 PM
i'll be posting a thread with wiring diagrams and info in the next few days. It's not as complicated as you think, if you can solder, read a simple wiring diagram, and use common sense you'll be good.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 4:12 PM
You can keep yr harness
The big plug on yr auto harness has 2 bigger purple wires, one has a white line on it, after u swap everything in there is no place to plug it into on the tyranny so I was messing with it , connected the two wires and wala ,
Everything works grate , what some people don't like is that the neutral safety switch isn't needed
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:04 PM
Dont want to thread jack but I am having the same questions, I have a 2000 sunfire I am converting over to the ecotec motor id like to do the 5 speed swap I have read a lot of information on the subject I am a little confused on the wiring part for it, like what needs to be done for it to work if you could help me out I would appreciate it.
Monday, February 14, 2011 9:54 AM
Connector C1 term C from (yellow) ignition switch goes to PRNDL switch on Auto,
Reroute that to a Clutch switchs
Then C2 Term E (purple) @ PRNDL switch goes to Starter Solenoid.
Reroute that so it comes from the Clutch switch instead.

http://www.weatherallsautomotive.com http://www.planethax.com/j-body
Monday, February 14, 2011 10:47 AM
There are two apects of the swap with regards to wiring,

The first is the Clutch safety switch.
This is required, seriously, its there as a safety precaution and should be maintained. Basically if you look at the large harness connector that is mounted just above the drivers side frame rail. There is a large, 12ga. Yellow wire that passes through the connector, You have two options, either cut that wire before the connector (in the length between the firewall and the back of the connector) and pull it back through the firewall grommet and harness. From there the yellow wire can be wired into the connector for the clutch safety switch. Either cavity can be purple or yellow, it does not matter.

The next wire is the Purple wire. In the auto's the purple wire runs from the starter solenoid or starter relay to the P/N portion of the manual valve position switch... In the manuals you need to continue this wire through the harness, around the large junction connector, and through the firewall and terminated on the other pin of the clutch safety switch connector.

Your other option is more confusing but does not involve pulling wiring through or installing wiring into existing harnesses. In this case you need to separate the yellow wire under the dash coming from the ignition switch. This is the same yellow 12ga. wire that we followed in the previous method. Basically to avoid running the yellow wire back through the firewall and having to extend the purple wire through the firewall we will cut the yellow wire under the dash, extending that end from the ignition switch to the clutch safety connector, and then splice the purple wire to the yellow wire so that under the dash, the other end that is headed through the firewall (and has now essentially become the purple wire) can be terminated in the other cavity of the clutch safety switch connector.

The other wiring is for the backup switch

This is a far simpler wiring job, all we have to do is locate the small 20ga wires that are lt green and Pink and terminate in the same connector our Purple and Yellow big wires terminated on the Auto trans.

Take these two wires, and splice them color for color onto the backup switch connector that is around the drivers side of the getrag just above the drivers axle.

Thats all there is to it.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:30 PM
Alex Richards wrote:The other wiring is for the backup switch

This is a far simpler wiring job, all we have to do is locate the small 20ga wires that are lt green and Pink and terminate in the same connector our Purple and Yellow big wires terminated on the Auto trans.

Take these two wires, and splice them color for color onto the backup switch connector that is around the drivers side of the getrag just above the drivers axle.

did you end up getting yours to work? there are two light green wires on that plug, atleast in the 2000 version.

Pink Pin B Fuction: Fuse Output, Ignition 1
Lt Grn Pin C Function: Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output-Park
Lt Grn Pin F Function: Backup Lamp Feed

However, I don't know the difference in gauge sizes on the light green wires. Like you said, the wires from the getrag backup switch are 20g, but i'm uncertain if both of the light green wires are the same size or not.
Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:04 AM
bradley s wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:The other wiring is for the backup switch

did you end up getting yours to work? there are two light green wires on that plug, atleast in the 2000 version.

Pink Pin B Fuction: Fuse Output, Ignition 1
Lt Grn Pin C Function: Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output-Park
Lt Grn Pin F Function: Backup Lamp Feed

However, I don't know the difference in gauge sizes on the light green wires. Like you said, the wires from the getrag backup switch are 20g, but i'm uncertain if both of the light green wires are the same size or not.

You need the lt grn that is in between the ppl and yellow wires. This is pin F and is the backup lamp feed.

Friday, April 29, 2011 2:02 PM
Alex Richards wrote:There are two apects of the swap with regards to wiring,

This is required, seriously, its there as a safety precaution and should be maintained. Basically if you look at the large harness connector that is mounted just above the drivers side frame rail. There is a large, 12ga. Yellow wire that passes through the connector, You have two options, either cut that wire before the connector (in the length between the firewall and the back of the connector) and pull it back through the firewall grommet and harness. From there the yellow wire can be wired into the connector for the clutch safety switch. Either cavity can be purple or yellow, it does not matter.

The next wire is the Purple wire. In the auto's the purple wire runs from the starter solenoid or starter relay to the P/N portion of the manual valve position switch... In the manuals you need to continue this wire through the harness, around the large junction connector, and through the firewall and terminated on the other pin of the clutch safety switch connector.

Your other option is more confusing but does not involve pulling wiring through or installing wiring into existing harnesses. In this case you need to separate the yellow wire under the dash coming from the ignition switch. This is the same yellow 12ga. wire that we followed in the previous method. Basically to avoid running the yellow wire back through the firewall and having to extend the purple wire through the firewall we will cut the yellow wire under the dash, extending that end from the ignition switch to the clutch safety connector, and then splice the purple wire to the yellow wire so that under the dash, the other end that is headed through the firewall (and has now essentially become the purple wire) can be terminated in the other cavity of the clutch safety switch connector.

The other wiring is for the backup switch

Thats all there is to it.

Im a little confused on this. The purple wire goes to three different spots. Do I just tap into it anywhere and connect it to the other side of the switch? Or do I come off of it at the main harness block?

For the back up switch, I am assuming that the wires on the factory harness are Light green and pink. I take these two, cut the connector off and splice into the main harness connector at the same location the yellow and purple wires are?

So essentially I am taking all my connections from the big harness block on the driver side next to the battery?

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Saturday, April 30, 2011 1:50 PM
OEM wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:

Im a little confused on this. The purple wire goes to three different spots. Do I just tap into it anywhere and connect it to the other side of the switch? Or do I come off of it at the main harness block?

For the back up switch, I am assuming that the wires on the factory harness are Light green and pink. I take these two, cut the connector off and splice into the main harness connector at the same location the yellow and purple wires are?

So essentially I am taking all my connections from the big harness block on the driver side next to the battery?

No,

Purple, Runs from the factory installed relay that was installed as a result of the IGN switch recall, to the S terminal of the starter. IT turns on the B+ "S" terminal at the starter. Before it gets to the relay, it runs down the harness on drivers side, and into the PN switch. You need to take the purple and yellow wire that runs into the PN switch and cut them at the connector, and reroute them back through the firewall so that they can be spliced into the connector for the clutch safety switch. Thats all that needs to happen. The purple and Yellow wire at the PN are the same wire, they just represent the before and after status of running through the park neutral and or clutch safety switch.

So to recap, Take the Yellow wire that runs through the large connector on drivers frame rail, reroute it back through the firewall to one of the pins on the clutch safety. The purple wire must be pulled back through the harness from the PN switch connector and rerouted up the drivers frame rail past the large connector and on through the firewall to the other pin on the clutch safety.

The wires on the factory harness for the B/U are light green and pink and are on the same connector that the Purple and yellow were on from the PN switch. All you need to do with those is run both of them directly to the B/u light switch on the back of the getrag... It is the switch you can see screwed into the trans from the drivers wheel well. IT has a white connector body on it as opposed to the black which is the VSS.

I can post diagrams later on if your still lost.

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:34 AM
^^How about that diagram now?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:43 AM
What about the VSS.
How does that get wired?

The wiring is all I need to do to complete my swap.
I think I figured it out, just havent gotten out the multi meter to do some pin ups.
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:13 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:^^How about that diagram now?

What diagram do you want or need?

I can draw one up...just want to know what your looking for or confused on

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:51 AM
I guess im confused on where the P/N switch connecter is is on my auto. The big plug that connects to the front of the tranny?

I understand now after re-reading where you connect the purple, yellow wires too.

306 TQ
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:11 AM
From what i gathered about the 3 speed automatic:

there should be a 4 pin connector with 2 wire on the front of the trans.
this is the torque converter lock up solenoid.
i believe this can be removed

there are two connections by the shifter on the auto transmission.
there is a big gray 6-7 pin (contains the purple and yellow IIRC)
and a 5 pin white
the PN switch needs to be hooked up to the clutch pedal
also the cruise control stop needs to be hooked up if equipped

also on the "snout" of the automatic by the passenger side
there is the "vehicle speed sensor"

reverse lights on the automatic should be in a harnes on the steering column

the getrag has two sensors on itself, the vehicle speed sensor, and the reverse lights.

Am I right so far?????
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:02 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:I guess im confused on where the P/N switch connecter is is on my auto. The big plug that connects to the front of the tranny?

I understand now after re-reading where you connect the purple, yellow wires too.

Your 4t40e correct? or 3spd?

if 4t40e it is on the manual valve position switch, top of the trans, should have a white and a black connector body, black should have the purple and yellow wires you need for P/N and the green and pink for reverse lights. This is under where the cable from the shifter hooks up to the trans.

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:30 PM
^4spd yep, OK, I completely forgot about those wires on top of tranny.

Thanks

306 TQ
Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:20 AM
So is this the clutch safety switch? I just pulled this wire from the yard.

306 TQ
Saturday, April 14, 2012 9:39 AM
Good god no, thats the cruise control inhibit/kill switch, the clutch safety is at the other end of the stroke...with that switch you would only have to depress the clutch slightly to trip it... and that would be bad...

Clutch safety should have purple and yellow wires coming out of it, and they will be the same size as on the auto... 12ga

Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:10 AM
Well @!#$ lol, glad I didnt pay for it. So sweet I dont have cruise so I dont need it. Thx man.

306 TQ
Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:04 PM
One quick question. Is this all necessary for the wiring and what not when I have a complete 5 speed harness and computer with the tranny?? I bought a whole parts car that has the Eco and a 5 speed so my 02 with the eco is getting the tranny swap. If so then the diagrams would be great!

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:19 PM
^Damn who parts car? I wish I could find one.

306 TQ
Friday, April 27, 2012 5:41 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:One quick question. Is this all necessary for the wiring and what not when I have a complete 5 speed harness and computer with the tranny?? I bought a whole parts car that has the Eco and a 5 speed so my 02 with the eco is getting the tranny swap. If so then the diagrams would be great!

Need the harness running into the firewall too, the other side opposite the engine from the interface connector on the drivers side framerail...

Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:30 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:^Damn who parts car? I wish I could find one.

Lol, I found a 04 Cavalier on CL for 600, with the 5 speed. Only problem is the timing chain snapped so I am going to need a cylinder head. But nothing too big. Since my yellow cars engine and trans is going into my girls car.

Quote:

Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:

One quick question. Is this all necessary for the wiring and what not when I have a complete 5 speed harness and computer with the tranny?? I bought a whole parts car that has the Eco and a 5 speed so my 02 with the eco is getting the tranny swap. If so then the diagrams would be great!

Need the harness running into the firewall too, the other side opposite the engine from the interface connector on the drivers side framerail...

So ill need the complete harness into the car and under the hood?? So im going to have to yank the whole dash too for the harness. Ok, not a problem. At least now I know.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search