need help please on MJ1 5 speed trans problem. discontinued part. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need help please on MJ1 5 speed trans problem. discontinued part.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:45 PM
Hello and thank you for reading. I'm new to the forum. I figured I would give this a try. I just got a 1997 sunfire gt two days ago so I can save on gas. Was driving just fine. I did get on it when I test drove it, and the clutch works fine. Only other time I got on it was last night. Shifted from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and then to 4th. When I shifted from 3 to 4 I noticed it didn't change. It was still in third but shifter was in 4th. I could move the shifter up and down but would not change gears. It wouldn't move side to side from nuetral. I was able to get it home. I puled the air intake hose and pulled off what they call a ( Shift Control Quadrant Housing ). It sits on top of the transmision which is a MJ1 (isuzu) 5 speed manual trans. It is what the 2 cables come into from the shifter and is held by 4 bolts on the top of transmission. I manualy took the car out of 3rd gear by moving one of the three "U" shape pins that sits under that unit. I can manualy put the car in any gear from and nuetral. Let's say if I manually put it in nuetral then replace the Shift Control Quadrant Housing back onto the trans, and then start the car up, it is in nuetral. But then I move the shifter to let's say 1st... It is then stuck in first and can only move shifter up and down, but not side to side until I remove the unit again and manualy take it out of 1st, or whatever gear I chose to shift it into. I also took apart the console. The cables are good there, and they are moving the Shift Control Quadrant Housing also. Only thing I noticed is when I take that off and have someone move the shift side to side, there is a pin under the unit that actually puts the transmission in whatever gear. That pin should move from front of trans to back of trans when the shifter is moved side to side in nuetral. It should move side to side to move them "U" shape pins in the trans back and forth to engage that gear. But no matter what way I move the shifter when I have that unit of the pin underneath seems to be ony moving from front to back. The cables seem fine and I am almost 100 percent for sure that the unit is bad or worn out. The trans can get any gear fine, the cables are good so that just leaves the Shift Control Quadrant Housing. My biggest problem is I have been all over the internet today and can't find nothing. Also I have been on the phone with the dealers... They said it is discontinued. And I have called junkyards up to an hour and a half away from me and also checked in the ones close by me. NOTHING!!! I don't know what to do as this is my only transportation. Any advise on where I could obtain one of these would be greatly appreciated. There has to be someone with a junk trans sitting around that would have that piece. I have tried craigslist, ebay, partstrain, car-parts and googleing my ass off. Again thanks and sorry for the book I wrote.

Re: need help please on MJ1 5 speed trans problem. discontinued part.
Saturday, May 26, 2012 2:02 PM
i know i have one... but its in my car i guess you just have to keep looking, i know alot of people have cars/transmissions for parts and just junk.. post a wanted ad in teh classifieds.. i think there was an isuzu trans for sale in there a bit ago, might still be there.
Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:13 PM
its going to be easier to find a whole transmission

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:01 AM
Is it the shaft on the module that's worn, where the lever rides inside a groove? This happens on these frequently. I'm not surprized to find out it's discontinued at this point, but if it's the part I think it is, it was like $150, too, just for a shaft.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:08 PM
Munci/NVG swap.

My 95 liked it. Bolt in.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:28 PM
dont let the dealer tell you "discontinued". if they say that they are too lazy to look it up in vintage parts or do a dealer search.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search