98 5 Speed wont go into 5th after clutch install - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 5 Speed wont go into 5th after clutch install
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:10 PM
After replacing the clutch in my 1998 cavalier ( 2.2 , 5 speed ) I cannot get the shifter to go into 5th gear. It almost will go in,,i can hear it start to grind.The more push on the shifter ,the more it sounds like it wants to go in. Could this be due to the motor and trans being moved,maybe i didnt line hem up correctly? Or will I need a new cable? I don't see anyway to adjust?.......Mark in KC

Re: 98 5 Speed wont go into 5th after clutch install
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:50 PM
Sorry for all the typos, I got this car with a clutch plate busted up ( the lining was broken up ) I Also ,I started to take the tranny off the bell housing ,and started to separate them but got cold feet and put it back together,Could this problem be due to this?.... Mark in KC
Friday, June 01, 2012 6:43 AM
It's very possible that something didn't go back into place properly when you cracked it open and reclosed it. Also, check the cables where they attach to the transmission, including where the cable housings sit in the bracket on the back side. If something isn't seated correctly there, you may be off a little bit in the shifter throw.

Friday, June 01, 2012 7:26 AM
I went to the pick and pull jumk yard to look at a manuel 5 speed,to see how the linkage operates in 5th, the one I looked at ,the gear selector on the tranny went down farther than mine.
I disconnected the shift cable on my car and tried to get in to 5th, it would not go in,iy would not go down far enough to engage,only enough to just barley make contact with the gears.
I see there are bolts holding the selector on the tranny, ........ Mark
Friday, June 01, 2012 7:30 AM
also I forgot to add that when I was removing the tranny, the selector lever got caught on the body and got pulled out a bit before I saw it and pushed it back in.Could this be where it got messed up? If so what would be my solution? The tranny goes into the other gears fine......Mark
Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:23 PM
Markymark wrote:also I forgot to add that when I was removing the tranny, the selector lever got caught on the body and got pulled out a bit before I saw it and pushed it back in.Could this be where it got messed up? If so what would be my solution? The tranny goes into the other gears fine......Mark
This could very well be your problem. Without having my hands on it, I couldn't help beyond telling you that you may have damaged just the gear selector, or you may have damaged something inside the transmission.

Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:55 PM
Sounds like a bad synchro or shifter fork. Will it go into gear when the car is off? If it does it's a bad synchro. I believe 1st and 2nd share the same one and the rest of the gears have their own. You can replace all of them yourself except 1st and 2nd, I think it's cryo frozen on.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:42 PM
It does go into 1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th and reverse very good,no issues.When I try to get it into gear when it is not running and the clutch depressed,it still will not go into gear,almost though ( I can hear it just barely missing the gear) ..... Mark in KC
Saturday, June 09, 2012 7:54 PM
Mister Quick and Rob,thanks for your replies....
Ok , I took the selector (?) on the transmission off, and found out that the part of the selector lever that engages these plates inside the tranny,when going into 5th gear,doesnt quite clear the 1st of the 2 plates,and therefore wasnt able to move the 2nd plate,.... what should i do to fix this?Did this happen when i mistakenly tried to separate the case and bell housing?....I picked up another tranny from pick-in-pull for $65 bucks ,so I already installed it and its working great,but if this can be fixed without too much effort...... Mark in KC
Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:43 AM
Keep the old one for spare parts. Sounds like something is bent/broken on the inside.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:56 PM
I would look over everything. I do not see why something would be messed up from just separating the case. Unless you bent something. I would look closely at everything again or get a fresh set of eyes to look at it. You probably are missing something. Or something just went bad.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search