Getrag F23 (M86) bellhousing won't go back on. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag F23 (M86) bellhousing won't go back on.
Friday, June 01, 2012 6:17 PM
What's the one thing or things that keep you from getting the bellhousing back on the tranny ? I installed a new OBX LSD, but the tranny case halves won't close up. The bellhousing is rocking on something in the middle of it. Any ideas ?

Re: Getrag F23 (M86) bellhousing won't go back on.
Friday, June 01, 2012 6:52 PM
Make sure you assemble it on a bench with the shafts and shift forks vertical, I had trouble getting mine together even with it vertical, typically the things that hang you up are the shift forks sliding into their holes on the bellhousing side... alignment is pretty crucial, after that its the alignment dowels in the case halves where the bolts go.

I remember a large flat bladed screwdriver through the shifter assembly hole being my friend in my instance... DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING! The shift fork bushings are a soft nylon, if you muck those up, your in for a whole new $120 shift fork, if you can find one.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Saturday, June 02, 2012 4:15 AM
Mine is vertical sitting on the back plate with a 2X4 to hold it level. Will keep after it. I think it's the drive gear bearing for the ring gear that's not going in the bellhousing, but today is a new day to get after it. Thanks Alex !
Saturday, June 02, 2012 10:18 AM
Sunfire SSR wrote:Mine is vertical sitting on the back plate with a 2X4 to hold it level. Will keep after it. I think it's the drive gear bearing for the ring gear that's not going in the bellhousing, but today is a new day to get after it. Thanks Alex !

If its the roller bearing that holds the Final Drive gear (the one that meshes with the diff) you can use some petroleum jelly to "glue" the rollers back into the race while you put the trans together, the trans fluid will emulsify the jelly when the trans gets warm and just become part of the fluid so it makes a good assembly lube.

Saturday, June 02, 2012 10:22 AM
Thanks Alex. It was holding it up until I found one roller at an angle. Then the bearing that's in the bellhousing wouldn't slide down the shaft. After heating the bearing with a heat gun, it finally went down. It's bolted and sealed. Will let it set 24 hr's before putting any Synchro-Mesh in it prior to installation.
Saturday, June 02, 2012 11:06 AM
Run ATF, not synchromesh... DEX III fill with 2 qts

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search