Tranny making weird scraping noise - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tranny making weird scraping noise
Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:48 PM
I have a 1999 Cavalier Z24. 5-speed. Whenever i let out on the clutch just a LITTLE bit, it starts grabbing already so i have to have it ALL the way to the floor before i shift. And when i'm shifting into every gear, it almost sounds like a scraping noise, but it grabs, and i can drive it. It seems to work fine, it just doesn't sound healthy...It sounds the worst right at take-off in 1st. It's very hard to explain, but when i drive my 1996 cavalier 2.2L, it doesn't do anything like that. my 2.2L starts grabbing when i let the pedal out about 1/3 the way out. And i was told that is normal. So, is there something wrong with my 1999? I did the motor swap at my buddies, and got the motor half-way out, and quit for the day. i had to work the next few days, and he wanted it out of his shop, so he finished it with his buddy who was a "mechanic", so i never saw the motor when they pulled it out, and put the new one in. They said they put the better looking clutch on the motor before they put the motor back in, but then again he isn't very intelligent...They had 2 hoses spliced together going from the brake-booster, to the antifreeze hose running along the back of the block...but anyways, It's not a grinding noise, its more of a scraping noise. Could it just be a rusty clutch? I'm stumped.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: Tranny making weird scraping noise
Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:29 PM
Is it like a ringing/scraping noise? Chatter? Might be something loose like a flywheel bolt or something. Hopefully your "special" friend followed the torque specs. Also, Have you tried to bleed your clutch? The bleeder valve is right under the tube going to the airbox/filter.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:36 PM
Bled the clutch a bunch of times. I think i might do it a few more times, and top off the reservoir just in case. I think I'm going to record a video of what it's doing hopefully tomorrow.

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:28 PM
Check out THIS thread as well for some reverse bleeding action. I had a similar problem til I found that thread when I replaced my slave and master.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:21 AM
Bad throwout bearing/slave cylinder.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, June 01, 2012 8:30 PM
Okay, i did it again the other day. And i'm not sure why i thought it sounded like a scraping noise...but it's not...It sounds like hydraulics under load. Is that the slave cylinder?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search