3T40 Wont catch in 3rd - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3T40 Wont catch in 3rd
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:54 PM
I have a 1999 Sunfire with a 3 speed auto and got it home a couple days ago with mysterious trans problem. I found that the TV cable was completely unhooked and have no idea for how long. I'm not sure if that could have ruined the trans or not. I re-adjusted it and made the shifting better. When it goes to shift from 2-3 it lags and sometimes wont shift at all. and when it does shift into 3rd it will catch only for a second and as soon as you hit the gas you get all nothing unless you slam it and it will downshift into second and all the way through 50 mph. I was looking around on info and have come acrross the suggestion to pull the governor out and clean it. i have no idea where that is. I am to the point where i am going to go to the junk yard and get a used trans. If anyone can link me a way to test the solenoid for 2-3 and where it is located i would like to do that as well. Any tips are appreciated just want to save $150 for the trans and all the grueling work to pull it out.
Thanks,
Josh

Re: 3T40 Wont catch in 3rd
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:52 AM
Did you start by changing the trans fluid in it since you've gotten the car?

By the way, it's not an electronic trans, there's no 2-3 solenoid.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search