? how to keep tranny from shifting - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
? how to keep tranny from shifting
Saturday, June 02, 2012 9:49 AM
hi i am dirt track racing my o3 cavalier i need keep the car from shifting the car will shift to sec and third gear when i have it in the first gear postion and it has to down shift for take off need know if way make it stay in first and than shift too second car wants run third gear around track and down shift in coner causeing it to want drive to the wall i have hit once dont want do it agian any help will be great full

Re: ? how to keep tranny from shifting
Saturday, June 02, 2012 10:22 AM
Unplug trans connector at front of trans by cooler lines...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:17 AM
will unplugging it keep it in whatever gear you choose to put it in
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:30 AM
Yeah by doing that it stay in second gear i need first also we dont get high enough rpms for the take off
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:49 AM
i need 3rd i run a big 1/2 mile dirt track i have a 2000 sunfire gt
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:43 PM
keep the shifter in 2nd gear position when racing, and take the cable that goes from the trans to the throttle body off the throttle body, pull cable out as far as it will go, this will make the trans think the motor is at high rpm (downshift for passing gear or whatever) the car won't be able to shift to 3rd since you have it down in 2nd, and the cable pulled will keep the trans in the lowest possible gear for the rpm, so you'll have 1st at highest possible rpm, then it will shift to 2nd when it needs to.
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:34 AM
Jordan wrote:keep the shifter in 2nd gear position when racing, and take the cable that goes from the trans to the throttle body off the throttle body, pull cable out as far as it will go, this will make the trans think the motor is at high rpm (downshift for passing gear or whatever) the car won't be able to shift to 3rd since you have it down in 2nd, and the cable pulled will keep the trans in the lowest possible gear for the rpm, so you'll have 1st at highest possible rpm, then it will shift to 2nd when it needs to.

Lies Lies Lies, He has a 4 speed, you have a 3 speed, He does not have a TV cable like you do. Trans is electronically controlled...

Have you thought about HP Tuners?

Thursday, June 07, 2012 7:53 AM
yea i have and am trying to find someone in southern mn who can do it cheaper then the dealer i found they want 400 to do it and if i wanted to spend that kind of money i would drag the car to excessive autosports in sioux falls sd and get it dyno tuned
Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:47 AM
Alex Richards wrote:
Jordan wrote:keep the shifter in 2nd gear position when racing, and take the cable that goes from the trans to the throttle body off the throttle body, pull cable out as far as it will go, this will make the trans think the motor is at high rpm (downshift for passing gear or whatever) the car won't be able to shift to 3rd since you have it down in 2nd, and the cable pulled will keep the trans in the lowest possible gear for the rpm, so you'll have 1st at highest possible rpm, then it will shift to 2nd when it needs to.

Lies Lies Lies, He has a 4 speed, you have a 3 speed, He does not have a TV cable like you do. Trans is electronically controlled...

Have you thought about HP Tuners?

Lies. I have a 5 speed. Not sure where you came up with that. Didnt know the 4 speed was that different. I prefer the old school.
Thursday, June 07, 2012 5:17 PM
Jordan wrote:

Lies. I have a 5 speed. Not sure where you came up with that. Didnt know the 4 speed was that different. I prefer the old school.

Touche' Assumed you had one since you spoke of the Tv cable...

Either way the E in 4t40E is for electronic control, no TV cable, no governor, no modulator.

Saturday, June 09, 2012 8:44 AM
Out of curiosity, what would happen if you unhooked the VSS. I know it shifts based off of MPH vs TPS or something. So, I wondered what would happen if you took away the MPH input.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Saturday, June 09, 2012 9:32 AM
My trans wouldn't @!#$ out of first gear without a VSS.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, June 10, 2012 4:21 AM
Even after hitting redline?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search