clunk sound accellerating - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
clunk sound accellerating
Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:29 AM
Hey all, just started happening yesterday morning. Its an 04 cav 5spd with 130k miles. In most gears when I shift, it will lind of "pop" as soon as I hit the gas. When I let off it will make the same sound as well. I crawled underneath and didnt notice anything really wrong or loose, cv seemed fine, but I did notice the lower mount on the driver side looks pretty tore up. Tranny mount? Not sure. Looked dry, cracked and very flexible when I felt it. Any ideas??

Re: clunk sound accellerating
Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:58 AM
Prolly the mount. These cars move the motor alot when under load. Change out the bushing and it should be fine.
Monday, June 25, 2012 12:40 PM
Also after driving it ive noticed it doesnt make this sound for about 3-5 minutes after a fresh start. Once I get going down the road for a few minutes is when I start hearing it.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:26 AM
Check your Axles, CV joints for play, your transmission mounts and your swaybar endlinks.

Report back.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:48 AM
Will do, thanks Chris
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:57 PM
Well, i did some inspecting. End links look good, cv joint looked fine, but I did notice the rear transmission mount had broke 2 bolts and the third was loose. Hanging at least an inch away from the tranny. YIKES. Got new bolts in, poly mounts, and it still makes the pop sound. Only on accel/decel. I read on a mini forum, and acura forum that they had the same symptoms and it ended up being a loose nut at the end of the axle or cv. Im going to get a deep well socket for it tomorrow and check. Any ideas on the size of the nut? Or other ideas on other noise possibilities?
Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:24 AM
Well, another small update. I decided to go ahead and replace the sway bar endlink. Went to advance, bought a Moog setup. When I went to loosen mine, BAM! the thing just snapped to pieces. On the passenger side, the end link wasn't even connected to the control arm. The bolt was already broke. Needless to say after replacing both, the car handles MUCH better, and feels more stable than it has in the past year. Very exciting.

However, it still hasn't fixed the pop noise. It's starting to sound very much like the cv joint is making the sound. Doesn't ever do it when i'm turning. Only accel/decel. Ideas would be great!
Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:48 AM
Check your upper motor mount.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:11 PM
Did you grab and jiggle the Axle where it goes into the trans?

I had this exact issue literally a month ago and it was the inner CV was loose as hell at the trans on the passenger side.

Good thing you're finding all those other issues though... I'd inspect and tighten every bolt that has to do with the trans and motor mounts as well as the suspension, and check the CV's for play at the trans.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:55 PM
Mr. Quick- I've checked the mount and it seems "ok" so far everything i've checked that LOOKED ok has been crap. So I'll probably buy a ttr mount or something. I figured it the engine mount was bad, it would be vibrating pretty good, or the motor would rock back and forth pretty good, but it's super solid in there. I believe the mount was replaced about 5 years ago, or maybe 60-70k miles ago.

So, SweetnessGT, I actually grabbed the cv from the transmission and kind of pulled back a bit, and forward, and it made a very slight click noise, very little play. Maybe a 1/16" of an inch or less. It didn't wobble left/right or anything, only in and out slightly. When you say check the cv's, how should I tighten them? Or does that just mean I need a new cv shaft all together? What did you do to correct your issue?
Friday, July 13, 2012 9:27 AM
When my axle was clicking upon acceleration and deceleration it was due to the inner CV having slop in the joint. If you grab the inner cv joint and move it around it should be solid - mine was sloppy. I took the axle out of the car altogether and put it on the floor and that inner joint clacked around.

Also in the past I had an issue with a loose control arm bolt causing a really decent knock/click under acceleration and deceleration. For me it was the bolt that you get to when you remove the lower dogbone mount - it fixed a VERY annoying issue I had for a season where the car pulled to the left when cruising or decelerating and pulled very hard to the right when I accelerated.

Also - my bad axle was causing a VERY bad vibration under acceleration only - it felt like a horribly balanced wheel but it only happened when you accelerated and put load on the axle. I'm surprised the thing didn't just come apart it was so bad when I took it out.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:50 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the response! I'll have to do all this. I have noticed a strange noise after I sort of launch from lights, or even have to get on it in 2nd or 3rd gear after shifting. Kind of a grinding, rubbing noise. Sounds very strange, but only when i'm going uphill, or launching hard(rare). It did seem to go away, or get a little better since I did the tranny mounts, so I dunno. I'll check into all this.

I appreciate the info, and help. Any places to find a good decent price axle?
Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:48 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:Also in the past I had an issue with a loose control arm bolt causing a really decent knock/click under acceleration and deceleration.
You know, I had this issues with my Z right after I bought it. I completely forgot about it, but about 200 miles after I bought it, it started clunking and I brought it back to the dealer. The control arm bolt being loose was the issue.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:20 AM
Upper mount will make the click, put the car in gear, turned off and rock it with the hood open, you'll see the motor move and you will prob notice the upper mount hitting itself, the control arm bushings are next in the process, these are the first two things to check when u hear a clunkish pop upon accel and decel,after that i go with checking the rest of the front as others have suggested....ill double the yikes on the trans mount that was barely hanging on though wow bud u got lucky. From the sounds of it the cv is probably fine, deff that upper mount u should look into, they are tight even when they are bad though this puzzled me for a month with my first Z-1995, i did the control rear bushings and i still had a clunk the upper mount n it went away, so it may have been a combination...hard to say. And it doesn't do it immediately because its rubbers nature to be stiffer when its cold, after your motor warms the bay the mounts get softer which is what im gonna say causes that delay. If you wanna replace the axle go for it, but I think it will be money waisted, or peace of mind...however you wanna look at it. Advance auto approx 80ish, plus there is always cupons for ordering online so you can most always count on a deal, and if you have PayPal and bill me later and add advanced auto to your favorites list they send you promo codes for discounts as well, umm autopartswarehouse.com is a good one I use a lot for oem stuff, and of course eBay is also a good source, many parts suppliers sell their inventory on there for half off a parts store price sometimes, I got my Wagner master cylinder for my couch and saved 20bux, warranty and all. That's good u did the swaybar though lol, factory design is a poor quality steel, I think I used trw for mine, trw for the whole front chasis system, prothane control arm bushings, and timkin bearings, my mistake was assuming the control arm bolts to be good to use again...big mistake, as I have play, but I have to put a clutch in this weekend so ill be replacing those with automotive grade 8 or 10 bolts with locktite...o yeah blue locktite is ur friend haha. Good luck to you and ill get on tomorrow n this weekend to check for updates on ur situation, provide some help if i can
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search