5-speed issue. stuck in 5th.. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5-speed issue. stuck in 5th..
Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:50 PM
so the other day while driving, i went to down shift from 5th to 4th, and it let me release the shift from 5th to neutral, but wouldnt go into 4th..

so i got it home and started tinkering with it. it will let me physically shift into reverse, but still acts like its in 5th. i removed the toploader assembly *shift box* from the trans, and the 3 shift points were all perfectly center, i can manually shift it at the trans into the reverse gear, but it wont let me shift it INTO 5th, its stuck in 5th gear, but looks as if it should be in neutral.

i have a LOT of 2.2 and storm trannys in my area, But NO mj1 2.4 trans. i know i can use 2.2 internals in my 2.4 trans, but im wondering if anyone else has ever ran into this issue, and what they did to remedy it?

Re: 5-speed issue. stuck in 5th..
Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:50 PM
Did you check your shift cables under the console? could have something messed up there.
Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:20 PM
its not the cable, i completely disconnected the cables from the trans, and tried shifting it by hand with no luck
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:16 AM
I too have the same problem or at least symptoms. Mine is a 98 cav z24 this one is stuck in second or third and has the exact same event. If you find out what is the deal let me know I will do the same.
Monday, June 18, 2012 2:12 PM
Probably a bent shift fork.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, June 29, 2012 12:48 PM
well get a new trans guys...I have a 98 and I spent almost a grand in repairs only to fix the issue by buying a used one....first my diff went...400+ GM part...then I kept getting stuck in second....internally it looked mint, nothing "looked" out of place but I bet there is a bent shift fork in there...
Saturday, June 30, 2012 12:26 AM
guess i was lucky with mine. just had to pull the shifter piece off it, have it milled to fit a bigger pin, and put it back on. mine is peachy now.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search