Replacement CV Axle - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replacement CV Axle
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:03 PM
I am replacing my stock CV axle on the passenger side of my 2004 auto cavalier. I was wondering if anyone could recommend an aftermarket axle? Also, are there any seals or other parts I will need when reinstalling the axle? Lastly, do you recommend any puller tool to separate the axle from the transaxle? I read one person used something from autozone and broke off part of it in the transaxle.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Replacement CV Axle
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:29 PM
Rent a 5 or 10lbs slide hammer and cv axle puller. You will need a 32mm socket I believe and that's it. You don't have to take anything else off but the wheel. You can replace the output shaft seal on the tranny. They are like $3.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:39 PM
Good luck. No one makes the correct one anymore for j-bodies. Most parts stores will sell you one, that needs to be modified by using the inner of your old axle.....

See this post....ALL the ones I could find had to be modified to fit. Click ME

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:11 PM
What is involved in removing the stub shaft from the old one and installing it on the new one?
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:11 AM
I just called Fisher automotive who was listed as a seller of Cardone axles. However they no longer carry them and now stock Suretrack which they guy said are a lot better and don't require transferring the stub shaft. Anyone have any knowledge of working with these axles?
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:19 AM
Update: Its SurTrack and it does require the old stub shaft.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:29 AM
I know of no one that carries the style where you do not have to swap the stub.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:30 AM
Update: I installed a new GSP axle from Advance Auto Parts and have driven over 200 miles on it. So far no problems and the install was a lot simpler then I imagined. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:20 PM
Did you have to swap ends?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:45 PM
I never had to swap anything with axles. They always came brand new and one piece.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:02 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:I never had to swap anything with axles. They always came brand new and one piece.

This only pertains to 4T40E J-bodies, also within the last few years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:03 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:26 AM
Good job I was gonna say gsp axles from advanced is your best bet I have used several on mine and others cars and honestly I have never had any issues. No MD these axles come as the whole unit which makes them that much better and easier to swap, honestly they feel stronger than my factory as well as have a larger diameter shaft, well at least for the 95-01 body style they are...in my experience that is
Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:51 AM
Well that is news to me. GOOD news. Thanks for the info.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:46 PM
What has to be modified? The stub axle shaft thats inside the passengers side CV axle can be removed.All it is clipped in.If the stub axle shaft ends up staying inside the trans I guess you dont really have to remove the stub unless you are changing seals also.So, work around it when you change axle seals its just like working on the drivers side.You really dont need a cv axle puller. Take a pipe and a hammer hit it at the back of the axle.Might have to spin the axle to the find sweet spot from underneath.I know that things should be done with the correct tools.Autozone has a slide hammer with the correct CV axle puller adapters.
Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:04 PM
Vinnie wrote:Good job I was gonna say gsp axles from advanced is your best bet I have used several on mine and others cars and honestly I have never had any issues. No MD these axles come as the whole unit which makes them that much better and easier to swap, honestly they feel stronger than my factory as well as have a larger diameter shaft, well at least for the 95-01 body style they are...in my experience that is

What I have found about the GSP axles (2001 2.2 OHV 5Spd) is that once installed, the boot gets stretched out to where it cavitates. I alleviated this by removing the small clamps and compressing the boot together then installing the replacement boot clamps (the clamps will not be near the machined clamp grooves after installation). That was done after the car was level on the ground with everything torqued to spec.

The first time I installed a set, I didn't bother to double check the boots. Apparently, the boots were so stretched out that when I took my first turn, they both popped off. I then had grease splattered inside the wheel. I then returned the set under warranty.

This was my experience. Hopefully this will help others.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:46 PM
I did have to swap the stub shaft for the new axle. Wasn't too bad just put a towel around the splines and put vise grips on it. Kept hitting it for a few minutes until it popped pass the c-clip holding it on.

As far as getting the axle out of the transmission, I just found a safe spot to pry on, and it eventually popped out. The new boot does seems to stretch a bit but hasn't popped off.
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:46 PM
Ok so this post is a little old.. I didn't know if there was any stage 1 or 2 or 3 axles that anybody has found for cheap? I see that Turbo Tech Racing has stage 2 & 3 but they are really expensive. Anyone got anything?

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:06 PM
how much power you planning on putting down? I havent heard of many broken axles with people on this forum and a lot have 300+ hp. I figure its more in how you drive and take care not to do tons of high RPM dumps or have stickies and drag every weekend.

I was curious about this myself though, but axle upgrades are expensive and you can probably upgrade control arms and bushings and things that should reduce some of the stress of launch vibrations thats much cheaper.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:52 PM
Whatever it takes to make an 11 sec car. You've seen my build right?

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search