04 Cavalier clutch repair help - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 Cavalier clutch repair help
Thursday, August 09, 2012 8:27 AM
just wondering if anyone has any good step by steps for changing a clutch on an 04 Cavalier. Just found out that the slave cylinder is out in my car so I'm going to replace the clutch while I'm in there and I've never done it before. If anyone has any suggestions or references I would appreciate it before I dig to deep into this. Thanks!

Re: 04 Cavalier clutch repair help
Thursday, August 09, 2012 9:52 AM
Haynes shop manual at any library... Free to use, best step by step with torque specs too.

We carry the KY performance clutch kit, best clutch kit out there for the quality and performance. Cobalts wont use anything but this brand.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Thursday, August 09, 2012 7:05 PM
you can get an Excedy replacement clutch off ebay with everything from the slave to pressure plate to clutch itself and alignment tool for $150... I did it on mine and it last a LONG time

Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:19 PM
Also search for the flyinsquirel subframe mod, helps quite a bit.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:47 PM
It's fairly simple...

Remove banana bar, notch subframe, drain fluid, remove wheels, then axles.

Remove starter, unclip the shift cables, VSS plug, reverse sensor plug.

Support trans, unbolt from mounts.

Unbolt from engine. Lower by rotating trans towards the radiator as you lower it to clear the subframe.

Boom. Trans down. Unbolt pressure plate and remove clutch.

I did this all alone back in the spring, had the trans on the floor in about 75 minutes.

Good luck!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:13 PM
Thanks Chris,

Seems simple enough. I'm in the military and we have a auto hobby shop on base that rents lifts for $5 hr and they also have any tool you'll ever need so I'm feeling pretty confident that I can get it done relatively easy!! Great to know from someone thats been there tho...I'll def use the info you posted.

Mike
Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:52 PM
Mike Neri wrote:Thanks Chris,

Seems simple enough. I'm in the military and we have a auto hobby shop on base that rents lifts for $5 hr and they also have any tool you'll ever need so I'm feeling pretty confident that I can get it done relatively easy!! Great to know from someone thats been there tho...I'll def use the info you posted.

Mike

he pretty much summed it up....

Make SURE you have the alignment tool with the clutch. Also be careful with the clutch fluid line you have to pull the clip out then pull the line out. MARK your sensors for sure just to remind yo what goes where. I have a feeling your hardest part will be getting the axles out just because of the control arms and spindles. Chris pretty much summed it up.

Doing it yourself for the first time... Id put the better part of 4-5 hours on it doing it solo. The lift may/ may not help unless you have a trans jack but even then I actually prefer taking it out on the floor and setting the trans on my chest and then raising the car and sliding out on the creeper. Not to mention you have to rotate it which is a pain unless you are under it. I think im on trans #5 so ive come pretty decent at doing it... unfortunately!

Monday, August 13, 2012 4:12 PM
Just did this in April....didn't have to notch the sub-frame...'03 mind you??
A buddy that has knowledge of at least a ratchet also helps quite a bit...just sayn.
Don't forget the hidden bolt...where could it be??? hmmm...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search