Getrag Transmission Swap (Almost Done!) - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag Transmission Swap (Almost Done!)
Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:40 PM
Hey guys,

I wanna start off by saying thanks to everyone who has given me advice over the last few months. I am rounding the end of the engine build and tranny swap. I am building the 2.2 ecotec for my 3rd gen 4dr cavalier and swapping in the getrag from the auto. Now since this is in the transmission area it is safe to say my question is transmission related. I am welding the tranny mounts in the bay for the swap, now I do not wanna buy the braces for the tranny mounts I would like to make them.

First Question:
So first off does anyone have the dimensions for the front and rear braces for the 3rd gen getrag tranny?

I have all of the parts needed for the swap except the brackets that hold the transmission mounts to the transmission.

Second Question:
Any ideas where I can find these brackets that bolt to the getrag transmission?

-plaz

You drive a cavalier? Why yes... yes I do.

Re: Getrag Transmission Swap (Almost Done!)
Monday, September 17, 2012 7:33 PM
I'm doing my swap as well I went to the junkyard and cut them off
Monday, September 17, 2012 7:55 PM
Look for my how to....its in here.

Its very easy
Monday, September 17, 2012 9:24 PM
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:43 PM
Thanks for info guy but I feel maybe I didn't word the question right. I am making the brackets (the ones in the link at TurboTech). What I need is the mounting assembly that bolts to the transmission that holds the tranny mounts.

-plaz

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:49 PM
Any ideas where I can buy these. I have looked everywhere and can find nothing online about them. Even my local dealer said he could order them because they're not in production anymore. (Which kinda blows my mind. Something tells me he was just giving me the run around.)

-plaz

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:10 PM
Im looking for the rear on myself but I'm gonna hit the jy n just get one
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:48 PM
I really don't think you guys are understanding me. I need the brackets that holds the urethane mounts to the transmission. Any ideas on where to buy these?

-plaz

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:52 PM
LOcal wrecker..
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:55 PM

I need the castings show here. I've called around here to a few places but I haven't had any luck.

-plaz

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:28 AM
I was in the same boat as you and i had to go through hell to get them. I checked all junkyards. no dice. I found one on ebay for $20 (score), and i got the other side from the dealer for $98 (@$$ rape). It helps a lot with the dealers if you go in already knowing your part numbers, but they never like to help... but hear comes the fun i have an extra set of used cast iron mounts I could sell you. have brand new factory rubber inserts if you need those also.

Friday, September 21, 2012 8:30 AM
If he don't get them I need one for my rear.... But do u have that part number
Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:00 AM
Hey Adam do u have the measurement for the spacing for the weld in mounts??
Saturday, September 22, 2012 5:55 PM
Adam you are freaking awesome! Ill pm you for the details.

-plaz

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:04 AM
I'm also doing the swap but i can not find a manual transmission engine harness anywhere! my donor car was burned rendering the harness useless.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:23 PM
Sorry Connor I am in the same boat. I just bought a wiring diagram and I am adapting my auto harness for the manual. It is next to impossible to find any manual harnesses around where I live.

-plaz

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:25 PM
I do have a question for anyone who has done this before. Can you use the Auto PCM for the manual PCM without having to rewire anything (to the PCM)? The diagram I have suggest that they are functionally the same.

-plaz

Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:17 AM
Yes but you have to use HPT to disable the auto perameters. I am going to use my tuned auto pcm once I get to that point.

If anybody is needing a tranny mount casting like shown above, I have one, just insure if its front or rear at the moment lol.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:43 PM
Ya I was kinda afraid of that. I (at the moment) do not have HPT. So... I guess I'll be buying a manual pcm. Anyone done this with the unless I can come across a HPT kit or the money for one right now lol.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:32 PM
Ok new question. Does anyone now what the model numbers for a manual ecu on an Ecotec is? Trying to adapt my harness but I still need a manual ecu. And I cannot find anything searching online.

-plaz

Monday, November 12, 2012 4:45 PM
In all the auto to 5 speed swaps I've done, I just modded the auto harness.

I sold my Getrag mounts, but 5 speed 00+ j-bodies are in EVERY junk yard.

I may have a manual Eco ECM in my collection, but w/o a bench harness, and my HPT cable, I can't check them.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:49 PM
Awesome Speed. Let me know if you have any manual Eco ECM. I have the brackets and mounts now. Just need the ECM.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:00 PM
Try ebay on the ecu. They sell them a little pricey when they're listed, but if thats all you can find...

Another option would be to mail the ecu to someone with HPT, and have it flashed (I have HPT) but the credits cost $150, so you're better off buying a junk/ebay ecu if its all stock. And the auto and manual plugs are the same on the computer side, you just need a little modification to the harness for a 5 speed. I think its just a VSS, and a reverse light switch.

-Eric

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:29 PM
Ya, I've got the harness done. But while its on my mind has anyone done a manual swap and didn't run the clutch safety switch? If so any problems with it? I have adapted the harness but didn't care much for the clutch safety just wanted to know if anyone ran into any future problems when putting on a turbo and not having the clutch safety.

-Thanks

Friday, November 16, 2012 12:32 PM
Clutch safety switch is on the clutch pedal right? I didn't even know that existed lol.

I'm not sure if it would cause problems more than an engine light to turn off via HPT, but you can probably tell by looking at the wiring diagrams. I'll see If I can't pull some up for you.

Come to think of it... the car won't start without the clutch pedal all the way down. There's most likely a workaround with the wiring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 16, 2012 12:36 PM

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search