Magnetic drain plug and bearings - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Magnetic drain plug and bearings
Monday, September 24, 2012 6:40 PM
Shortly after getting an OBX LSD installed (barely 400km), my transmission started growling. I made it back home but while attempting to turn my car around the it locked up solid. I had to take the shafts out to move it.

I was pissed and figured that the diff either came apart or the gears inside where toast but, after dropping it and tearing it apart, I noticed the magnet missing from the slot on the bottom of the case and that everything was covered in a dark powder. Found where the magnet went and what the growling noises where.

Now, I need help finding the following Items
1 - A magnetic drain plug that will fit a getrag F23 since the slot's tabs got mangled and I don't trust it holding another magnet. I heard that the F35 came with one but I can't seem to find info on the thread pitch and dimension, If it's too long it will interfere with the ring gear.

2 - Are the bearings a dealer only item or does anyone know somewhere to get them cheaper? I have a friend that works at a company that sells SKF bearing, which is what I believe was in the trans, that may be able to find the traditional style bearing but is unsure about the rollers in the plastic cage ones.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search