Wheel Hop = Angry Transmission - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wheel Hop = Angry Transmission
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:49 AM
Finally went to a local drag strip for the first time. I told myself 100 times not to launch hard on the first run; just wanted to get down the track. In short, this was the best 0-15 feet time I've ever had. Wheels hopped twice, and then this....

Sorry for the cell phone quality pics. Enjoy my sorrows...

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Wheel Hop = Angry Transmission
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:51 AM
ouch, sorry man. did anything besides the grenade besides the transmission? and cell phone pictures have become the norm, they look fine.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:41 PM
Surprisingly, nothing else was damaged (with the exception of my pride). I was EXTREMELY worried about my aluminum flywheel but luckily it just had a few scratches from the debris. The hardest part about this whole situation is paying someone else to fix it. I could easily do it at home(PA) myself, but I'm living in MA now and it's too costly to tow that far. I found a used tranny with 100k on it for $275 at a local yard and had someone install it for $500. Figured unless you take them to the strip they really don't go bad. Anyway, this guy seemed cool and did me a solid. They gouge prices up here for repairs more than anywhere I've ever seen. Now a few weeks later.....my ABS light is on. I have no doubt that they !#@$ed it up somehow. Either by breaking a sensor or pinching a wire somewhere. EXACTLY why I hate anyone working on my car but me. Anyway, lesson learned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:42 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:00 PM
Need more motor mounts, get that motor locked in there...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:08 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:Need more motor mounts, get that motor locked in there...

Need slicks.

Club Jeffie, Yea we can make that. Text or Call(908)866-1882

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:16 PM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:Need more motor mounts, get that motor locked in there...

Need slicks.

And an lsd, and cryo treated gears, and better axles, and a stronger clutch....... I know. Just wanted to make a few runs and see what kind of times I could make. Unfortunately it wasn't in the stars. Let's not discount the fact that I'm a total n00b on the strip too. I'm no stranger to racing as I used to run lots of circle tracks. But dragging, you bet. I'm confident someone who knew what they were doing could have avoided this situation as well.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:17 PM
Expensive lesson but at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Club Jeffie, Yea we can make that. Text or Call(908)866-1882

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:24 PM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:Expensive lesson but at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Yuuuuup. I'm pretty butt hurt about having someone else install it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:14 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:

Need slicks.

And an lsd, and cryo treated gears, and better axles, and a stronger clutch....... I know. Just wanted to make a few runs and see what kind of times I could make. Unfortunately it wasn't in the stars. Let's not discount the fact that I'm a total n00b on the strip too. I'm no stranger to racing as I used to run lots of circle tracks. But dragging, you bet. I'm confident someone who knew what they were doing could have avoided this situation as well.

Truly more than that you need the motor and tranny mounts, and to control your right foot.

Out of all the stuff you listed the LSD is the only thing that would really be worth the money.

My diff has 138k on it, around 200 track passes. It is good. Even in stock form our tranny is pretty good.

The number one best thing you can do is let off when the car wheel hops.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 16, 2012 5:44 AM
Noted. I have a ttr lower motor mount but no tranny mounts. I'm looking into it now.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, November 16, 2012 7:16 AM
I'm on stock mounts...

I think right foot control plays a huge part in getting the trans to stay together.

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:28 AM
dear god did you get up there and just DUMP it at 7 grand or something?!

what kinda power does the car make?

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Friday, November 16, 2012 10:21 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:dear god did you get up there and just DUMP it at 7 grand or something?!

I wish, at least it would be a good story. I launched around 3500 to 4 grand, then got on the gas a little too hard, it hopped twice, I let off, and at exactly that time I heard the chunks fly. I knew right away what happened.

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:what kinda power does the car make?

Stock M62 setup with a good tune from Oldskool. Maybe 220 on a good day? The air was perfect that night. Planning on hitting the drums after I get my 3.1 and 42# injectors installed and tuned.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, November 16, 2012 2:11 PM
blackbirdracing wrote:I'm on stock mounts...

I think right foot control plays a huge part in getting the trans to stay together.

I would also get a upper mount as well, or a insert for the upper.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 16, 2012 3:10 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Planning on hitting the drums after I get my 3.1 and 42# injectors installed and tuned.

On second thought I should quit before I blow the motor up too. If you guys knew me personally it would all make sense. My middle name is Murphy.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, July 15, 2013 9:02 AM
lol ^

is there anywhere you can buy stronger internals for our transmission? Getrag F23..
and.. is the same Getrag in all the 2.2L from 2000 to 2005?

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Monday, July 15, 2013 9:09 AM
I'm sure some sort of limited slip situation would help and those are available for the f23. You could also cryo treat the gears as others on this forum have.

As an update, the poly trans mounts I installed made a WORLD of difference. I honestly wasn't expecting much especially since the stockers really weren't that bad but it's night and day difference. Before my wheels would hop like crazy on a burnout or hard shift into second. Now the wheels spin like they're on glass.

I believe all 2000+ 5-speed cavs have the f23. I know there was an isuzu trans but I think those came on earlier years.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, July 15, 2013 10:45 PM
00-05 grand am/alero/cavy/sunfire all came with the getrag. The bellhousing is different from the 2.4 LD9 to the 2.2 Eco. So make sure you get the correct one if not you will have to swap the bellhousings which costs a decent amount of $ just for parts needed when splitting the trans open.
http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4654 Is a good LSD.
Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:20 PM
Ok so I'm learning a lot more about the transmission scene. When I got my Poly Urethane mounts ($45 on ebay for a pair, cuz Karo had only one and told me he was waiting for a shipment. I waited for three months and said whatever and got the genuine set off of ebay) there was a night and day difference just like Y3llowCav said... plus before I put them on, when I had the tranny in 2nd it sometimes slipped out under too much load, and I had massive wheel hop. I raced a Grand Prix GTP and I lost cuz I was hopping up to like 25 MPH.

Also do you have stock suspension? Or old suspension(struts and springs)? I know when I got my Tokico D-Specs on, I had absolutely NO wheel hop, so you might need new struts possibly. Thought I'd share this experience to help y'all out.

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:18 AM
What do you have for CV shafts? I've broken 5 OEM-style CV shafts in 3-4 years (probably 500-750 1/4 mile runs and lots of spirited street driving, always with some sticky tires) but never had anything like this happen. I was thinking about upgrading the CV shafts... but hey, they're easy enough to do on the side of the road and the trans isn't... like shear pins! And yes, I now keep a pair and the tools to change them in the trunk

I've got pretty much the same setup as you, just added a charge air cooler and methanol injection... You might try launching at a lower RPM, I usually launch at 1,500-ish RPM and can still break the tires loose. These engines have pretty good low-end torque with a supercharger on them, don't need to rev it much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 Cavalier
2.2 Ecotec Supercharged w/ 2.9" pulley
Charge air cooler
Poly bushings - lower control arm and engine/trans
Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:37 AM
Abe Jacobs wrote:Also do you have stock suspension? Or old suspension(struts and springs)? I know when I got my Tokico D-Specs on, I had absolutely NO wheel hop, so you might need new struts possibly. Thought I'd share this experience to help y'all out.

It's always had d-specs with h&r springs(they're STIFF). For the track I had the rears all the way stiff and the fronts just one turn out. It still hopped like a mofo until I got those tranny mounts installed. I still can't say enough good things about them and the difference they made.

J-Ri wrote:What do you have for CV shafts? I've broken 5 OEM-style CV shafts in 3-4 years (probably 500-750 1/4 mile runs and lots of spirited street driving, always with some sticky tires) but never had anything like this happen. I was thinking about upgrading the CV shafts... but hey, they're easy enough to do on the side of the road and the trans isn't... like shear pins! And yes, I now keep a pair and the tools to change them in the trunk

I've got pretty much the same setup as you, just added a charge air cooler and methanol injection... You might try launching at a lower RPM, I usually launch at 1,500-ish RPM and can still break the tires loose. These engines have pretty good low-end torque with a supercharger on them, don't need to rev it much.

That's ridiculous. I'm running stock shafts. I can't believe they survived that diff blowing out. When it snapped you could see how it jolted the cv shafts so bad that it actually blew some of the grease past the boots on the joints

Last time I went to the track I just took it super easy coming off the line and still had plenty of fun. Obviously it's a lot faster than the times I'm running but I honestly don't care. You're definitely right in that there's no need to launch at 4k or even 3k if you're not trying to break records. ps, I'm also dialing a meth kit in next weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:38 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search