Clutch replacment tips needed! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch replacment tips needed!
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:31 PM
I have read soooo many threads on this site and learned soooo much, i am a BIG fan of the site but sadly have never registered until now.

Tomorrow i am replacing a clutch on my 05 cavalier. Mainly because my clutch slave went POP and i want to replace it all. I have read about the tab to remove the tranny from the car easier and i read a bulletin to overfill the fluid. But is there really anything i should beware of before starting this task?
Is there any pointers from the pros to make this a more simple experience?
What tranny fluid should i use?
Should i go ahead and replace the shifter parts too(sometimes it don't want to go in first)?

Re: Clutch replacment tips needed!
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:33 PM
Any help would be a blessing!
Friday, March 01, 2013 10:54 PM
OK, so far i got the axles out and everything disconnected from the transmission, i think. The weather here is killing the amount of time i can stand working on it each day(1-2 hours). My haynes isn't too helpful in some of the descriptions though. I really need help with a few questions please.

1. Where is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) located?
2. Roughly, how much does the transmission weigh?
3. How many bolts are holding the transmission to the block?
Friday, March 01, 2013 11:17 PM
1. Vss is towards rear mount, can see it if look straight towards engine from wheel well, 2. 150 pounds or less maybe, can be a bitch by yourself, 3. Wanna say 7 or 8 bolts hold tranny to block, not hundred percent sure though all are towards drivers side except one is on back side towards passenger side right above where passenger axle goes into the tranny itself. Hope this helps.

FuzzMASTA9
Saturday, March 02, 2013 3:14 AM
harry sprites wrote:OK, so far i got the axles out and everything disconnected from the transmission, i think. The weather here is killing the amount of time i can stand working on it each day(1-2 hours). My haynes isn't too helpful in some of the descriptions though. I really need help with a few questions please.

1. Where is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) located?
2. Roughly, how much does the transmission weigh?
3. How many bolts are holding the transmission to the block?

1. I wish I had my factory service books on me and I could tell you.
2. Enough that you can set it on your chest uncomfortably Its not fun but its how i get mine in and out.
3. I want to say 12 but am not positive... there are a few that are REALLY sneaky at getting out and seeing. When its free you will know its free. Just dont pry it out and snap an ear off of it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search