[GUIDE] Isuzu 5-Speed Transmission Flush [PICS] - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
[GUIDE] Isuzu 5-Speed Transmission Flush [PICS]
Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:48 PM
So I figured I'd put up a how-to for this since trying to find this information on the interwebz/in the car's owner's manual/in a Haynes' manual is nearly impossible. I did this to hopefully ease the grinding I'm getting in 3rd gear, but I really think I need to have the tranny fixed. If mods find this useful enough, can I get a sticky?

This guide will show you how to flush the transmission fluid in your '95-99 Isuzu-equipped manual Cavalier. I'd like to give a big thanks to SHOoff for the assistance and information that helped me to get this done myself and allow me to make this guide.

Difficulty: 2/5
Tools/Parts Needed:
    - 5-Speed '95-99 Cavalier
    - 2 QT (Two Quarts) Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid (I went with Royal Purple Synchromax MTF after hearing good things.)
    - Floor Jack/Lift
    - Ratchet/Impact Gun + Socket/Lug Wrench
    - 15/16ths Wrench
    - Funnel w/ Hose
    - Drain Pan
    - Rags/Paper Towels
    - *Flashlight/Nightvision Goggles
    - *Mechanic's Creeper
    - *Another Small Floor Jack/Breaker Bar (For less manly men, like me.)
    - *409/Fantastik
    - *Hand Cleaner
    - *Disposable Shop Gloves

(*) = Things that are not required but are handy or will make your life much easier.

Onto the good stuff.

Step 1: Engage the parking brake and jack up your car. Remove the wheel. Be sure to keep the car in gear to keep the wheel from spinning as you remove the lug nuts (lug wrench/ratchet users). This isn't required but if you don't have a lift like me, this makes getting to the drain plug much easier.

It should look like this. If it doesn't, you're doing it wrong.

Step 2: Locate and remove the drain plug. It's on the end of the transmission towards the front left wheel. It requires the 15/16ths wrench. I found it impossible to fit a ratchet with a socket of that size up in there to remove the drain.

This is the bolt, looking towards the center of the car from the driver's side. It's pretty hard to miss. I had to put the wrench on the bolt and use another small floor jack to push the wrench up to break the bolt loose. Ready your drain pan and prepare for what may be the worst smelling liquid in the automotive world. Feel free to lower your car down a little to make the most of gravity during the drain. Unfortunately my drain pan was a 5-gallon bucket sawed in half, so clearance was a problem for me in that aspect.

Step 3: Take this time to clean up whatever mess you might have made during the drain. Put the drain plug back in and make sure it's tight. I used my floor jack again to tighten it another 1/8th of a turn after I couldn't anymore with my own strength. Put your wheel back on and lower your car down once more so it's level. Pop your hood (if it wasn't already) and locate the transmission fluid fill cap/dipstick. It's white (or dirt colored) and says "TRANS FILL" in black text.

It's down in here.

Farther...

Oh what the *#@.

Pop it off by pulling up the latch and removing it. It may or may not be a pain to reach your arm all the way down there. Oddly enough mine came out without pulling up the latch. As an added precaution, feel free to hose down the area with compressed air prior to removing the cap to lower the risk of debris entering your transmission fluid.

Step 4: Get the funnel into the fill hole and fill it.

This thing will make your life so much easier. Five bucks at Advance Auto. Has a cap and a twisting open/close section as well as a mesh filter. It's just long enough to reach the fill hole while sitting between your brake fluid reservoir and the engine.

It should be in the hole like this. It's dead center in the pic.

My weapon of choice. Really doubting the "more horsepower" claim, but whatever.

Slowly fill it up, two quarts, and replace your filler cap when done.

That's all, folks. Close your hood, clean up, and go drive. Hope this helps those who are looking to drain their tranny and have no idea where to start.

I'll post my results with the Royal Purple after the 500 or so mile break-in period for those interested.

Re: [GUIDE] Isuzu 5-Speed Transmission Flush [PICS]
Monday, November 12, 2012 2:45 PM
Nice write up!

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:05 PM
i personally believe the royal purple to be a mistake. i tried something of the sort in my isuzu years ago and it hated it. swapped back to gm syncromesh and it was a lot better.

nice write up.

It's nice to be injected but love being blown.
Monday, November 12, 2012 8:23 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i personally believe the royal purple to be a mistake. i tried something of the sort in my isuzu years ago and it hated it. swapped back to gm syncromesh and it was a lot better.

nice write up.

Yeah after using it for a bit I'm not too thrilled by it. I read great reviews on it and know that Royal Purple makes a good product, but I'm not thinking my Isuzu likes it either lol. Didn't help my third gear synchro at all, and now it actually grinds when cold as well, where the old fluid (no idea what it was, assuming GM synchromesh but the previous owner had the clutch replaced and I think one of the boys at the shop broke the filler dipstick/cap so it doesn't lock in when the latch is down. So either 14 year old synchromesh or newer stuff is beyond me. $8.50 for a new cap at my local Chevy dealer btw. Will be here in 3 days.

I think I'm gonna give Amsoil Synchromesh a shot next for kicks. I'm looking for that fluid that'll give me the smoothest shift possible (as smooth as the transmission can be with it's physical ability).

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:00 AM
With mine, I put in 5W-30. @!#$ that expensive Syncromesh.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:26 AM
Another teal Z wohoo. I disregarded the rest buahahahah.

But really that is a good right up, but the Royal Purple stuff wouldn't have been my choice either.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:13 AM
your syncro is grinding because it is shot lol. i would stop wasting money on fluid swaps and get it torn down and replace that bad syncro immediately if i were you....

It's nice to be injected but love being blown.
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:28 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Another teal Z wohoo. I disregarded the rest buahahahah.

But really that is a good right up, but the Royal Purple stuff wouldn't have been my choice either.

Yeah I love the color and I get compliments on it all the time.

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:your syncro is grinding because it is shot lol. i would stop wasting money on fluid swaps and get it torn down and replace that bad syncro immediately if i were you....

I know, I know. I need to get some money together to do i. Friend of mine who has been a mechanic for five years offered to fix it for 20 plus the cost of parts.

I wanna do it but tbh I hate this transmission and want too go Getrag.

Friday, November 16, 2012 11:38 AM
I am yet to have an issue with Royal Purple - my Isuzu liked it, my NVG loves it and my 00+ Getrag has been fine with it so far, even in the cold.

Just to note in your 2nd pic, looks like you have a leak at the axle seal there as the seal looks wet.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:07 AM
I could really use you guys help. I have a 98 z24 vert. I want to change out my 5 speed trans fluid but I can't find my fill tube or wherever you fill it. This write up is great just not for me cuz my fill tube is not where it is in the pic. Could it be I have a different trans and if so where is the fill tube located?
Friday, March 01, 2013 11:26 PM
Its just a little dip stick that top folds over to make it tight and seal on back side of tranny way down by the steering sector, some are white and some are black that blend in if tranny is greasy

FuzzMASTA9

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:21 AM
Sweetness, I ended up getting tranny fluid everywhere before the flush because the dipstick popped out lol.

Alonzo, the fill tube is that dipstick with the white latch that says "TRANS" on it.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:41 PM
I too am running royal purple all tho mine just a 2.2 OHV not the z but still an Isuzu trans and the only problem I have is clutch chatter from my stage 3.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search