CV Shaft play - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CV Shaft play
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:20 PM
So i took a chance on a CL-J ..cheap enuff but what the guy thought was a bad wheel bearing doesn't really seem to be...took rotor off and there was like 0 play in it..tried with wheel on first and same thing..so i start grabbing things and seeing what moves and i seem to have *some* up/down side-side play to the CV as it goes into the trans, is a 99 2200 4sp auto, only checked pass side as that seemed to be where it was coming from .
Is this normal? or am i looking at a spent tranny...seems to shift fine but even at low speed there's a not good sounding kinda grindy noise. What is supposedly 6 mos old rotor pad caliper combo still has plenty of pad and rotor left but the outer half inch portion of the outside of rotor and the inner half inch of the inboard side of the rotor is like burnt and rough while the rest is fine and smooth...if that makes sense....both rotors look the same also..
Any thoughts or ideas ....additional info needed <im sure> ...just got it home and thats as far as I got into it before the mosquitoes won..(

Re: CV Shaft play
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:03 AM
inner tie rod?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:47 PM
Thinking thats the cause of the rotor wear? would that also make the downright horrendous grinding noise...i suppose...but what of the play in the CV...i was grabbing the stub shaft and not the axle so all the movement was in the trans as far as i could tell...would love to find out its not the tranny but that is not how my luck works...never happens...
Awesome out all day but the last 4 hrs of daylight i get after work...its raining...see what i mean(
Will get the front up on blocks and check all the frontend stuff i can tomorro and get some pics

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:48 PM
small update...both tires are worn on both inside and outside edges...perhaps it is all just frontend makin the noise .... will have to jack mine up and see if theres any play in my CV's , 5spd tho so didnt know if same same...
Was just curious tho if anyone had an auto laying around the shop with a shaft if they couldnt see if its just the way it is or.....?

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:33 PM
So...after throwing a muffler on it so i could hear something besides exhaust im guessing most everything frontend wise has about 187k on it ..to include the CV's...tranny...seems ok still but cant be sure with the grindings going on ...the motor sounds very good for that many miles so am hoping i can get the frontend straightened out.
What all could i get axles out of ? Have to be from another 4sp auto J or will 3sp ones work? I have everything from a 97 GT but was a 5sp so nogo im guessing?
Am hoping to get this driveable for the coming winter or sooner so i can park the Z so going used/cheap/free where ever i can~

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search