97 2.2 manual transmission removal? Help - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 2.2 manual transmission removal? Help
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:40 PM
Well my mk7 isuzu 5 speed is bad metal shavings inside I think a bearing went bad cause their is play were my cv axle enters the tranny. So I'm getting a replacement tomorrow at the yard. I'm going to be doing the labor with a friend. Never taken out my tranny before. So I'm wondering besides the basics is their anything I need to be aware of to do this job? I was reading somewhere you might have to drop the whole subframe to get the tranny out?? I hope not, and I can't find my damn Haynes manual so if anyone has any tips I would appreciate it. Thanks

Re: 97 2.2 manual transmission removal? Help
Monday, July 15, 2013 7:52 AM
Pull it out the left side of the car.... its what ive done everytime.... remove both cv axles.... remove shift cables ( Pop off with screw driver) remove both transmission mounts.... remove all belle housing bolts.... have a glance at your clutch and replace if needed.... also if you are getting a trans from the yard check to make sure there is no water in it.... also replace the output shaft seals on the old/new unit if they are leaking

Erik Packard
Re: 97 2.2 manual transmission removal? Help
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 5:58 PM
Thanks yea did the job, degreased and painted the new replacement as well as replaced cv seals even the input shaft seal. The yard tranny was still on the donor car then immediately taken off then to me. Drained the transmission then ran magnet through old fluid no metal thank god. Took a quart of new fluid and tipped tranny back and forth to flush it good. Did have to loosen subframe bolts to let it drop about an inch for clearance. Then put everything back together then added my 2 quarts of that expensive dealer synchromesh fluid. Frickin 40 bux for just 2 quarts
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search