Clutch Install Help - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch Install Help
Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:18 PM
I recently bought a exedy clutch kit with clutch pressure plate and TOB. According to alldata and mitchell 1 for an 2004 cavalier it says to align the heavy side of the flywheel with the light side of the pressure plate. It says the heavy side of the flywheel is marked with an X and the light side of the pressure plate is marked with paint. Well I do not see an X and the pressure plate has about 10 dabs of paint on it.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Re: Clutch Install Help
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:56 AM
your flywheel will only go on one way unless the Exedy is different. one side has the indentation for the clutch and the clutch should only mate up to the pressure plate a certain way properly.
do you have pics? it should be all pretty straight forward. I just installed an LSJ flywheel and GMPP clutch/PP and i was not really able to put anything on wrong except the clutch itself, but if i did i could tell it wouldnt function that way.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:43 PM
He isn't talking about front/back, he is talking about the balancing marks. I haven't used a stock replacement flywheel or an Exedy clutch, so I am no help there.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:49 PM
I didn't remove the stock flywheel. I left it on. I bought the clutch flywheel and throwout bearing. Alldata, mitchel1 and other places online state the same as what John Lenko posted before.

The actual instructions from GM are as follows:

Removal Procedure
1. Remove the transmission. Refer to Transmission Replacement in Manual Transmission - M86/M94 Getrag.
2. Remove the clutch cover bolts one turn at a time, until spring pressure is relieved.
3. Remove the clutch cover and the clutch disc.

Installation Procedure
1. Align the Heavy Side of the flywheel assembly (stamped with an X), with the clutch cover Light Side (marked with paint).
2. Install the J 29074-A in order to support the clutch cover to the flywheel assembly.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the clutch cover to flywheel bolts.

Tighten
1. Follow the tightening sequence. Tighten the bolts to 24 N·m (18 lb ft).
2. Tighten the bolts to specifications. Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications.
3. Remove the J 29074-A .
4. Lubricate the inside diameter of the bearing with GM P/N 12345777, or equivalent.
5. Install the transmission. Refer to Transmission Replacement in Manual Transmission - M86/M94 Getrag.
6. Bleed the hydraulic system. Refer to Hydraulic Clutch Bleeding .
7. Connect the negative battery cable.

It states this for all cavaliers 95-05 no matter what engine I select.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search