Shifting to gears problem - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shifting to gears problem
Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:03 PM
I have an 02 cavalier with 4 speed auto with ecotec with 130,000 miles. Today while backing out if the driveway and went to shift to drive and it would go to that position but wouldn't move and acted as tho in neutral. I put it in park and then wasn't able to get it into any other gear even tho the shifter moved and was locked in park because I couldnt push the car. I lifted the hood and was able to manually move the transmission to drive but it wasn't broken there. I took the console apart and it wasn't broken there either. Has anyone ran into this problem or know a solution for this?
Thanks for any help this is my DD.

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"

Re: Shifting to gears problem
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:48 PM
I'd assume that you had the had brake pulled or someone holding the brake or the engine off when you shifted from under the hood? I don't understand if that did the trick either.
Re: Shifting to gears problem
Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:54 PM
My father in law helped shifted the car while I had the brakes on.

Shifter cable help.
Monday, November 18, 2013 5:14 PM
Well I solved the problem. Where the cable bends inside the engine bay right by the transmission, that causes a weak spot and it broke there. My next questions I just need to verify the parts number for the cable. It's acdelco part number 22737100. Reason I ask is because rock auto only charges 51 while dealership wants 92. My other question is after fighting with the cable I got to the grommet and pulled the cable inside the cabin, but the cable runs underneath the frame of the dash and the ends are too big to get underneath it. I can cut the old one off but do I need to run the other one like that?
Thanks for any help.
Redrider02

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search