Slave cylinder leaking immediately after replacement - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The Solution or actually the cause
Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:42 PM
I had the same spongy peddle as was originally described. Mine started at about 120k miles. After several bleeds & as many weeks it went out. I saw no signs of a fluid leak however the resuviour was low even empty at times.

A note is I noticed the clutch fluid turned black about 6 months after buying my new Cavalier in Oct 2004. I flushed it once a year at the longest thinking some external source was effecting it that was not effecting the brakes.

I also disassembled the clutch master cylinder several months before I lost all peddle & all the seals & cups looked good. No cuts or cracks & the bore looked & felt smooth. Its plastic so water won't pit it like it does metal bores.

I replaced my original clutch slave cylinder with a used one with a reported 90k miles on it. I figured if it was an issue with the OEM slave I would have about 30k miles & it not it would last longer. Wrong on both count. 20k miles before 100% loss.

I disassembled my original slave & found the the seal for the piston looked like it had been sitting the sun for a year. The outer bore sealing surfaces looked worn but passable but the base on the piston was chewed & cracked with missing pieces. Now know why the fluid was black.

I will have to investigate the used slave & get some pictures this time but my current suspicion is the piston seal is not very compatible with brake fluid. Interesting that none of the other parts in the system show any signs of wear.

Re: The Solution:
Wednesday, August 05, 2015 9:38 PM
I'm having this problem in my 02 Cavalier. Just wondering, what's the TOB and how should it be properly installed? I installed it myself but apparently I have done something wrong somewhere.
Re: The Solution:
Wednesday, August 05, 2015 9:49 PM
Todd Wessells wrote:I'm having this problem in my 02 Cavalier. Just wondering, what's the TOB and how should it be properly installed? I installed it myself but apparently I have done something wrong somewhere.

Ok nm I found what TOB is but isn't that already on the slave? How could I mess that up?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search