New to me 98 Z-24 with auto trans issue. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New to me 98 Z-24 with auto trans issue.
Monday, March 31, 2014 6:37 PM
I need some advice to see if I am on track here. The car has 155k on it and the trans is shifting hard. Today I was accelerating hard and the 1-2 shift hit and the trans started doing the bouncing/slipping thing. After looking up the trouble shooting steps for this I can flush and filter it. Then look at the governor if its easy? I also wonder what the book time is on swapping in another trans. I have to shade tree mechanic so that job is really best done by someone else ATM. The car also needs a timing chain set cause it sounds like a diesel. Did I get in over my head? Its a really nice car otherwise and I should be able to do the chain myself. Thanks.

Re: New to me 98 Z-24 with auto trans issue.
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 3:22 AM
I would change your intake air temperature sensor. This could explain most of your trans issues. I assume the trans fluid and filter needs changed as well.

The "governor" is electronic, and unless you have a Tech 2 or tuning software your not going to look at it....and there is also no reason to.

If your going to swap a trans pull it out the top with the engine, and install new timing hardware while the engine it out of the car.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 5:08 AM
No lights are on in the dash at this time. Is that part known to be bad even when the check engine light is off?
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 5:38 AM
yes.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 12:27 PM
Changed the sensor this morning and haven't noticed a difference but it seems to run a little smoother.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search