Clutch for track days but also a daily driver? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch for track days but also a daily driver?
Saturday, March 29, 2014 10:52 PM
I did my first track day on a road course this weekend and I'm in love but my Bulley Stage 3 clutch didn't seem to like it very much which has me very sad because I'm only putting down about 150whp (motor is built for boost but doesn't have it yet). This is the one part I was not expecting to have trouble with and it really bums me out that a clutch made to handle double the power I'm putting down doesn't seem up to the task of 25-30 min lapping sessions around a road course. I am contemplating a clutch masters twin disc clutch if only for its ability to handle the heat but am afraid its a bit overkill for my modest power goals. For those who track these cars what clutch are you running?

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Re: Clutch for track days but also a daily driver?
Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:39 PM
What was it doing? How do you know it wasn't working correctly?

Monday, March 31, 2014 12:25 AM
The engagement point shifted from the last bit to the first and a few times towards the end of a 30 min lapping session it would barely go into gear with the pedal on the floor. Its engagement point generally shifted around the whole day, it was very soft and light, things guys in the paddock said point to an overheated clutch. I have since read the description of my clutch and its mostly intended for street duty with light and occasional track duty.

Monday, March 31, 2014 12:30 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:The engagement point shifted from the last bit to the first and a few times towards the end of a 30 min lapping session it would barely go into gear with the pedal on the floor. Its engagement point generally shifted around the whole day, it was very soft and light, things guys in the paddock said point to an overheated clutch. I have since read the description of my clutch and its mostly intended for street duty with light and occasional track duty.

I have always had a engagement point that is in the first part of the pedal on a getrag. I like this very much.

A shifting around engagement point is a problem. I would start with bleeding the clutch.

FU Tuning

Monday, March 31, 2014 1:20 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:A shifting around engagement point is a problem. I would start with bleeding the clutch.

I was going to say the same thing. Could be the slave or master going as well.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, April 03, 2014 9:41 AM
Guess I will have to look into bleeding the clutch tonight. Either way the trans is toast and I'm considering replacing the clutch while its out because this thing is going to see a lot of track time. My thinking is: It was barely 50 degrees ambient temp for the high, the first two sessions were taken a lot easier because it was my first time on a road course, I'm relatively low power (150ish whp) and the clutch still overheated on each of the last two sessions for a total of 4. Power wise the stage 3 is more then enough but Bully's site even says is only designed for street and occational auto x, no track use. I got a sweet deal on Tyler's clutchmaster's twin disc setup which should be able to handle anything I can throw at it. Roll/harness bar, racing seats and 5 point harness are next, always progressing to the end goal of becoming my track toy!

John I agree the new engaement point near the floor is nicer, it was just a bit much to learn the new position on the track!

Monday, April 07, 2014 3:27 PM
PM me about your plans for suspension setup.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search