Getrag full metal shifter (interest?) - Page 10 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Getrag full metal shifter (interest?)
Friday, March 04, 2011 2:02 AM
i'm lazy.

i need to take final measurements of the existing prototype.

its installed in my 2004 coupe, and has held up with no problems since the last revision.

this is what the production version will be based on. still have a few tweaks that will make it work even better (the machining to the uprights) but that has to be done before they are welded to the baseplate, so modding the prototype is impossible for that.

the only other thing i need to think about redoing is the holders for the cable clasps. I'll think of something a bit better than what I have I'm sure.

coming soon guys i swear!

Monday, March 07, 2011 7:04 AM
my 99 Cavy said she's willing to be a guinea pig for the isuzu shifter lol jk
can't wait

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:35 PM
can I be a tester of the Getrag one?

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:38 PM
SEriously, I'd love one of these, I've been looking for a short shifter for months now, and being that the BM and Fidanza's are discontinued and i'm not willing to buy something from ebay, i'm really considering this.

what thread pattern is the shaft going to be, if so?
Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:59 PM
thread pattern on the shifter is 1/2-20

update:

I managed to finally break the really weak tack welds i had holding the shifter together the other day, so I took it out and re-welded it the right way.

while it was apart, i took measurements of the base and uprights and I'm putting together a build sheet for the shifters when I start taking orders.

I also just ordered some steel to test out materials to make the stick out of, and I'm also debating doing one last redesign on the cage assembly.

that being said, once I have the hardware picked out and sorted and once I work on a few other small components for the shifters, I will be ready to start the GP.

the GP will be for 7 GETRAG ONLY units. I need to get my hands on an isuzu shifter and shift cables in order to modify the current design to work with both cars.

here is the most recent list I found in the thread. there is ONE open spot in the list if someone wants to jump in.

1. Vince Morris (I already know you want the first one man lol)
3. Dave De Stefano(and i don't even have a manual yet!lol!)
4. Chris Bradley (my car is begging me for this)
5. Shawn McKenzie (insert something clever)
6. Chris Casimbon (Even if my wife and I are having a baby girl on January. I want this in my car now. THANKS!)
7. Cody Bowen( WANT IT!)

I'm going to make at least one more prototype to nail down the process, and once I solidify my suppliers and materials cost, the final price will be listed and I will begin fabrication once I receive all 7 payments and all my materials.

It will take me about 7 days to make all 7 shifters.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:06 PM
as soon as you are ready for the isuzu, i'm in....

Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:28 PM
Magik1109 wrote:as soon as you are ready for the isuzu, i'm in....

what I need from an isuzu person is the entire shift assembly and the cables that clip into the shifter assembly (they don't have to be the full length, I just need the clasps in order to figure out their dimensions.. hopefully the same as the getrag clasps but I doubt it'll be that easy.

whoever does donate these parts will get dibs on the first isuzu compatible shifter AND a lower cost.

also, vince told me that roofy wants the number 2 spot, so I'm putting him in there.

1. Vince Morris (I already know you want the first one man lol)
2. Roofy
3. Dave De Stefano(and i don't even have a manual yet!lol!)
4. Chris Bradley (my car is begging me for this)
5. Shawn McKenzie (insert something clever)
6. Chris Casimbon (Even if my wife and I are having a baby girl on January. I want this in my car now. THANKS!)
7. Cody Bowen( WANT IT!)

Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:36 PM
i tought you had access to one...
i have a set of junk cable laying around, i could send you the shifter assembly with cable pieces on monday.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:51 PM
Definitely interested still!! Ill gladly take the #2 spot.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, March 28, 2011 6:57 AM
My isuzu shifter took a dump earlier last year with my B&M installed, (plastic piece snapped in half) so, I've been looking for a replacement for a while. Was actually going to just order from GM, the OEM part. Anyone know the p/n for the shifter assembly or the shifter cables? I need a set of those too.

I can donate my junk yard shifter I've been using in the car up until now to help with the proto type once I get replacement's in.

Monday, March 28, 2011 6:42 PM
Magik1109 wrote:as soon as you are ready for the isuzu, i'm in....

Monday, March 28, 2011 6:42 PM
I have a spare Isuzu one, been trying to find a Getrag for a while.

if someone drops out of the list, I'm first for replacing them! on the Getrag one that is.

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:08 AM
ISUZU UPDATE:

Magik1109 has sent me an isuzu shift assembly with cables, so once I receive that I will take a look at how the prototype can be modified to work with the isuzu.

in the mean time, I am still doing my supplier work for the parts for the shifter. I got the stick material in today and the surface finish was perfect so one less part I need to worry about.

All thats left is to get a solid hardware list, clean up the side-arm design and the cable adapters and the last thing I need to perfect is the fabrication of the cable clasp holders.

about 60% of the way complete towards the first production version. once I make that first one, the others will be a cake walk.

there is a slight chance that the PowerShifter will be compatible with BOTH isuzu and getrag. If thats the case, depending on interest, I will open up another 7 slots for the GP making the total to 14... but until I can confirm that I can mod the shifter for that it remains at 7 for now and getrag only.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:35 AM
You know im excited!

Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:29 PM
I'll definitely take an Isuzu one as well.
Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:27 PM
you know im still in

Friday, April 08, 2011 8:09 AM
Just let us know when we need to throw in the monies!

"Thank you little roots; Stay strong." Chris Farley
Monday, April 18, 2011 8:07 PM
any update on this?

Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:52 PM
2x ^^

Sunday, May 01, 2011 9:19 AM
lol wtf

Saturday, May 07, 2011 11:27 AM
cmon give us some updates

Monday, May 23, 2011 3:23 PM
??

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:56 AM
still working on a solution guys. unfortunately, it still isn't looking very good for the isuzu guys... their shifter connections are too weird, so using their cables is pretty much impossible.

I thought of maybe using getrag cables, but the ends on the transmission side are too different.

I kept putting off responding cuz i keep looking for a way to do it, but i'm still working the problem.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:49 PM
Thanks for the update. If you need anything, dont hesitate to ask. Good luck.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:17 PM
if you ever opened up a larger production run, I'd definitely be down

Bone Stock, but hopefully not for long

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search