drag trans - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
drag trans
Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:22 PM
So i want to start using my 02 cavalier for drag racing and its a 5 speed what are good upgrades and how much power can it handle ?

Re: drag trans
Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:28 PM
Mine handles 4XX lbs/tq just fine... only upgrade is a LSD.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:42 PM
Nice thanks
Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:58 PM
You could do what im doing as well. The saturn vue transmission, 5 speed fwd eco has a 4:41 final drive. Swap the gears out, stock cav getrag has 3:94. Hope that helps

I Love My J ♡
Monday, July 28, 2014 2:50 PM
Wheel hop is the biggest thing that harms our tranny's.

Doing tranny mounts, good clutch, LSD or LSD insert and driver mod. Short shifter also.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:02 PM
will the 1 through 5 gear set fit in a f35
Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:02 PM
Who sells teams mounts for our cars?
Attachments
image.jpg (1301k)

Built and boosted 2.2 ohv
Friday, December 05, 2014 6:20 AM
I have a 5 speed sequential x-trac if you wanna buy it.

Friday, December 05, 2014 7:09 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:Wheel hop is the biggest thing that harms our tranny's.

Doing tranny mounts, good clutch, LSD or LSD insert and driver mod. Short shifter also.

THIS. I blew my trans due to stock mounts (and me being an idiot). But poly trans mounts helped exponentially. Turbo Tech Racing sells them; relatively cheap insurance imo.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 05, 2014 9:33 AM
The only thing Ill add to this aside from the parts suggested is that RPM seemed to make mine shift funny.

Anything over like 6800 and the syncros started to feel muddy for whatever reason. I only experienced this with 1 transmission and it very well may have been that the trans itself was worn and tired. I went to pull from 3rd to 4th and despite going straight back on the shifter i ended up in 2nd from this which ended up hurting the motor.

I put thousands of miles on with just clutch and mounts and the stock differential and never had any problems; and i BEAT that car.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, December 05, 2014 4:31 PM
A lot of getrag fwd transmissions don't like high rpm shifts. The 2nd gen transmissions absolutely hated 8,000rpm shifts with a v6.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Friday, December 05, 2014 9:33 PM
Are these good mounts or are the turbo tech racing ones better, and how much do you want for them?

Friday, December 05, 2014 9:35 PM
Also what is the best lsd? I was reading some require machining!? Are there any that you can just drop right in?
Attachments
image.jpg (1568k)

Saturday, December 06, 2014 1:58 AM
There is no true drop in real LSD. There are team green inserts, then you have the obx and quaife true LSDs. Quaife is close to $1200 and you still have to set the preload. Then you have obx which seems to be hit and miss for $380. Some need machining and some don't but it also needs the preload set.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, December 25, 2014 11:41 AM
Has any one tried the Traction Concepts LSD on chevycavalierworld.com?

Friday, December 26, 2014 6:10 AM
Levi McClinton wrote:Has any one tried the Traction Concepts LSD on chevycavalierworld.com?

That is a Phantom Grip unit....and the upgraded unit is pretty much the same as the Team Grean LSD insert. I would just buy a Team Gearn LSD insert from Brian Wisniewski.
http://www.j-body.org/members/speedracer/
https://www.facebook.com/brian.s.wisniewski.3

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, December 26, 2014 6:17 AM
About the Phantom grip unit... I'm told they're powdered steel. Team greens are not. Someone I know was attempting to compress a phantom grip unit and one of the sides snapped in half. Obviously he wasn't doing it right but just food for thought.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 26, 2014 10:25 AM
Ssweet good to know, I'll probably go with an OBX when it comes time!

Friday, December 26, 2014 10:59 AM
If you do end up getting an obx..

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=47871&t=47871

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search