Can 3 speed be swapped for 4 speed? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can 3 speed be swapped for 4 speed?
Sunday, February 08, 2015 1:23 PM
Recently bought a 2000 sunfire with the 3 speed trans. Only averaging around 26 mpg and would like to do better. Will a 4 speed trans bolt on? I'm a newbie and didn't even realize they came with 3 speeds until after i bought it. Great car, only 55k on it but that trans is not even close to efficient. Any help would be appreciated thank you!!

Re: Can 3 speed be swapped for 4 speed?
Saturday, March 14, 2015 1:56 AM
I have been wondering the same thing. I have a '99 Cav with the 3 speed. I want to swap in the 4 speed as well since the gearing in the 3 is terrible. 80 mph in 2nd gear? That is far from performance. But my friend thinks as long as it bolts up fine, it shouldn't be too hard. Maybe have to swap some electronics. But I'm not sure, so I can't give you an answer.
Sunday, January 22, 2017 5:35 PM
i was wondering has anyone got a answer to this? my son has a 99 with 2.2 3 spd and is buying a 01 z24 parts car was thinking it would be good swap
Monday, January 23, 2017 3:17 PM
Can't put a 4speed in place of a 3 speed. Whole different beast.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem"
Brad
Like us on Facebook@ "Otto Matics"
Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:57 PM
But you can put a 5 speed in place of a 3 speed. I did it 12 years ago on my 95 sunfire. Bolts up. Need to pull off the 1 trans mount and weld 2 on in different places. Makes sure you connect the wires that would prevent ignition from starting (ran into trans for park lockout) and drill holes in firewall for new clutch pedal and master cylinder. New shifter cables. New shifter.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search