Intermediate / Jack Shaft - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Friday, February 10, 2012 11:29 AM
I might have found one ..... went onto "www.car-part.com" and found 2 in OHIO.
Awaiting pictures, spline count and overall dim's from the yard.

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:20 PM
Here is my jackshaft

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Friday, February 10, 2012 6:42 PM
So the Axle that works with this is an auto right?

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:07 AM
Thats the one I used... er... modified Blwn!

And yes mark, the axles used is a stock M5 axle for the drivers side, passenger becomes an A4 axle without the stub shaft. (The A4 axles are all the same... the passenger side one just sometimes comes out with a stub shaft stuck to it.)

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:39 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:Here is my jackshaft

Are you selling it???
Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:04 PM
Bobby Higgins wrote:
Blwn LD9 wrote:Here is my jackshaft

Are you selling it???

I am keeping that one, but I think I have another one

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:57 PM
i had no idea these were such a wanted item.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:57 PM
I love mine. I am going to try to run one on my v6 swap too (with tg lsd also).

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:53 PM
An intermediate shaft can reduce torque steer, if designed right. Though its not needed if the axles are designed right. By that I mean, if the longer axle is made thicker such that both axles experience the same torsional deflection under loading you wont get torque steer. If you make an intermediate shaft setup to prevent torque steer while using the same axles on both sides then the intermediate shaft needs to be a very large diameter such that its torsional deflection in insignificant compared to the axles.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:46 AM
Leafy wrote:An intermediate shaft can reduce torque steer, if designed right. Though its not needed if the axles are designed right. By that I mean, if the longer axle is made thicker such that both axles experience the same torsional deflection under loading you wont get torque steer. If you make an intermediate shaft setup to prevent torque steer while using the same axles on both sides then the intermediate shaft needs to be a very large diameter such that its torsional deflection in insignificant compared to the axles.

Good luck with your different diameter axles idea... since not only would every car would need a different size axle depending on the torque output of the motor, but every car would need five different size axles to prevent torque steer in all five gears. Not to mention it would take some experimentation with sizes. I have worked at a part store before,... even OEM axles for the same application come in with different sizes... that is one QC check they don't do

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:52 AM
You wouldn't need all different size axles, as the torsional deflection of the axles would increase at the same rate with the increase in torque if the axles had equal torsional deflection.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:00 AM
Leafy wrote:You wouldn't need all different size axles, as the torsional deflection of the axles would increase at the same rate with the increase in torque if the axles had equal torsional deflection.

Your right, but what your forgetting is torsional deflection is linear, and we have two seperate sized axles on both side in stock trim. Thereby meaning that if the deflection was the same on both sides, the total deflection across the axle would be a product of the length... which you do not change.

To be honest, while in theory, it would work with enough experimentation, its just easier to fabricate a jackshaft.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:02 AM
Yeah. I have a feeling though that the jack shaft shown isnt thick enough.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:12 AM
Leafy wrote:Yeah. I have a feeling though that the jack shaft shown isnt thick enough.

Its nearly twice as thick as the axles its connected to.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:08 AM
Well then.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:11 PM
Yup... I have one on the shelf from a H.O quad... and have dealt with a few of the 96-97 j-body ones. The shaft is twice as thick as the stock axle, and what I LOVE about it is that it is bolted to the block and doesn't move with the suspension which worked well with how close my oil drain is to it.

It's a very meaty part.. for the life of me I don't know why GM stopped doing the axle setup this way. When I find another 96-97 in the yard with one I'm pulling it for my current daily driver.

It should work with the Getrag no issues as far as I know... I wonder if there is provision on the eco block to bolt it up like there is on the LD9/Quad/OHV.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:20 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Yup... I have one on the shelf from a H.O quad... and have dealt with a few of the 96-97 j-body ones. The shaft is twice as thick as the stock axle, and what I LOVE about it is that it is bolted to the block and doesn't move with the suspension which worked well with how close my oil drain is to it.

It's a very meaty part.. for the life of me I don't know why GM stopped doing the axle setup this way. When I find another 96-97 in the yard with one I'm pulling it for my current daily driver.

It should work with the Getrag no issues as far as I know... I wonder if there is provision on the eco block to bolt it up like there is on the LD9/Quad/OHV.

-Chris-

Dunno about the ECO but I would look into the cobalt/G6 jackshaft setup if i were eco...

I had to trim an immense amount off the bracket and make a new mounting plate for the 2200.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:27 PM
Looks like for us eco guys, the splines for the f35 intermediate shafts wont work. The cobalt is 1.175 diameter and 27 splines while ours are 1.07 and 27 spline. I'm not 100 percent on our axles though.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:17 PM
I was able to pull one off a 96 Sunfire GT. The splines do line up with the F23, I am not sure if it goes in far enough to create a seal. I didnt want to get it suck for now. It seems like it will.

Alex didnt yours go into a F23?

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:21 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Yup... I have one on the shelf from a H.O quad... and have dealt with a few of the 96-97 j-body ones. The shaft is twice as thick as the stock axle, and what I LOVE about it is that it is bolted to the block and doesn't move with the suspension which worked well with how close my oil drain is to it.

-Chris-

No provisions that I have found, but I'm working on a bracket to bolt to the EcoTec block that will give us availability of using the 96-97 intermediate shaft. As soon as I can find a shaft for mock up ill be on it.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:22 PM

-Chris-

No provisions that I have found, but I'm working on a bracket to bolt to the EcoTec block that will give us availability of using the 96-97 intermediate shaft. As soon as I can find a shaft for mock up ill be on it.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:28 AM
OverKill All The Way!!!!! wrote:I was able to pull one off a 96 Sunfire GT. The splines do line up with the F23, I am not sure if it goes in far enough to create a seal. I didnt want to get it suck for now. It seems like it will.

Alex didnt yours go into a F23?

Mark

Yup... went it just fine, no leaks.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:57 AM
Has anyone tried to rebuild one??

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:37 PM
I might end up making a custom pillow block and mount for the 2200.
Not sure yet, still have to get a hold of one to modify.
The pillow block would contain an off the shelf bearing.
Even at 120 MPH the axle is still spinning less than 1800 RPM with a 205/45/17 tire.
Circumference of tire is 6.41 feet.
5280 feet per mile.
So thats roughly 823.7 revolutions per mile.
So at 120 MPH it would spin 98,844 revolutions per hour.
Which boils down to about 1647.4 RPM.
This is easily accomplished with an off the shelf bearing application.
Not sure yet, still have to get a hold of one to modify.
Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:16 PM
If anyone has an intermediate shaft they want to get rid of, PM me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search