Transmission making noise in second gear - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission making noise in second gear
Thursday, May 19, 2016 4:11 PM
Hello i just bought a 1997 cavalier z24 5 speed, and the only problem i'm having is that second gear makes a winding/humming type noise, similar to what you hear in reverse but not as loud. i suspect it's the tranny and not a wheel bearing because if i'm accelerating and push in the clutch, the nose stops. The noise increases in tone until about 3-4k rpm, and after i shift into 3rd there is absolutely no noise. However, sometimes when i'm slowing down (almost to a stop) and making a turn with the clutch in and hitting the breaks, i hear the noise as well. Now since the clutch is pushed is pushed in while doing that, it makes me unsure if it's the transmission. Another thing worth noting is that i'm pretty sure my throw-out bearing is going out, because if i am sitting in neutral i can hear a faint ticking noise that immediately goes away if i push the clutch in. I wouldn't think this is related as the winding noise only happens in second gear, and when slowing down with the clutch in. Thanks in advance for the help.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search