Dont have 1st and 2nd gear - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dont have 1st and 2nd gear
Friday, August 25, 2017 4:16 PM
I have a 2004 cavalier, I will try to make this as short as I can. I daily drove this car for the past several years. I just recently got a new car so this cavalier sat. Well I'm planning on giving this car to my sister in law. I went to drive it and I only have 3rd 4th 5th and reverse. 3rd and 4th and the smoothest gears while going into 5th and reverse is rough. The transition from 4th and 5th is rough. This car has never had this problem before. I do not have 1st and second gear at all. Its full of fluid. Clutch grabs fine. Transmission doesn't make any noise. Car has about 207k on it. Anybody have any ideas, or anything I can try? Doesn't feel like I have 1st and second when I car is off either.

2004 1SV
-Vibrant Catback
-Pacesetter Header
-K&N Typhoon Intake
-Fidanze Short Shifter
-18's coming real soon

Re: Dont have 1st and 2nd gear
Saturday, August 26, 2017 2:28 AM
I'd first suspect the shift cables and/or loose linkages. Something along those lines keeping the forks from moving the gears enough to engage.
Saturday, August 26, 2017 3:57 AM
Ok now dumb question, how do I check that. Will the cables be loose if I grab them?

2004 1SV
-Vibrant Catback
-Pacesetter Header
-K&N Typhoon Intake
-Fidanze Short Shifter
-18's coming real soon
Saturday, August 26, 2017 10:58 AM
Have someone shift it while you look at the shift linkage on the transaxle for movement. First look at what 3rd and 4th does, since they are working. Then have them shift 1st and 2nd to see if you notice less movement of the linkage. The problem could be the cables or too much slop in the shifter. I understand cables are normally the problem, but it could be the shifter. It could also be a problem with worn grommets at the linkage, not allowing full movement.

If you don't see anything obvious, you can unhook the cable from the linkage and put the transaxle in first gear by hand. Then you can see if the car is in gear by trying to roll it. If it is, that is great, since it will the confirm the trans is fine and the problem is in the shifter, cable or linkage connection.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search