Getrag Manual Tranny Fluid Fill Bolt, Where is it? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag Manual Tranny Fluid Fill Bolt, Where is it?
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:03 AM
Im wondering where do i fill the getrag fluid from its a 2000 Sunfire GT with a Manual Tranny here is a pic i took of the bolts that are around there, there is a red cap and 2 outher bolts which one do i use to fill it?

Thanx

Re: Getrag Manual Tranny Fluid Fill Bolt, Where is it?
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:08 AM
uhh...check the manual? Mine's out in my car and it's cold. If nobody's posted the answer by tomorrow morning I'll go check.

Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:12 AM
thanx man but the manual does not say, i checked, it just says what kind of fluid to use and how much to use but it doesnt say where to fill it

Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:27 AM
hey i waslookin at my transmission today and it looks like the cap will be fine to fill it up. i know i said differently in the email but i had never taken off the cap and i always heard different.

Peace Out!!!
Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:49 AM
The nice big red cap would be where you want to pour your fluid into. I couldn't imagine finding a funnel small enough to pour it into that little bolt hole and if you could it would take forever. Just so you know though, when you are filling it with fluid take your time, if you fill to quick it will run out over the edge and you'll have a nice puddle of tranny fluid all over your floor.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:29 PM
okay, i changed my mind. F@#k the stupid red cap. i poured too fast and some of my fluid spilled. oh well. i took off the allen head bolt and poured it in through there A LOT easier. and there are plenty of funnels that will fit in there. i poured the fluid in and it went in very easy. maybe 20 seconds to pour each bottle.

Peace Out!!!
Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:32 PM
Again wheres the drain plug?

Thanks to spyderwizard for the sig!
Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:44 PM
drain plug is at the very bottom of the tranny facind the drivers side wheel. i can take a pic of it for you tomorrow if you wish.

Peace Out!!!
Re: Getrag Manual Tranny Fluid Fill Bolt, Where is
Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:17 AM
so is this like motor oil, just drain and refill? and if so, is there a filter, im really looking into doing this when i do my next oil change..........oh and how much oil does the tranny hold?

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:33 AM
there is no filter, just drain and refill. the manual says you need 2 quarts. i've put in 3 just fine and i know of other ppl on here that have put in up to 5 just as a test. i wouldnt put in more than 3.

Peace Out!!!
Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:44 AM
Why did you change it? Which fluid did you use? Mobil synthetic ATF, I hope. I read it takes 1 and 7/8 quart. I would not go over two quarts. No way.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:04 AM
first i changed it to B&M fluid to get rid of a tranny noise. i then realize i didnt have the noise ppl were talking about and changed back to GM Synchromesh fluid. put in 2 quarts and later 1 more to make my shifting smoother, and it did. this last time i used the Mobil Synth. ATF because it was too late to go buy some more GM Synchromesh fluid after changing my clutch.

search for the GETRAG TRANNY NOISE thread. Mr. Goodwrench and plenty other ppl have put in 3 quarts with no problems. my owners manual says no less than 2 quarts.

Peace Out!!!
Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:08 PM
I fixed my tranny noise with an updated mount. Check with the dealer.
Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:51 PM
what noise are you talking about. there is a 'pennies in a can' noise when you're at idle, but goes away when you press the clutch pedal.

then theres the rattle noise when you lug the engine. apparently this noise is caused by the pulleys somehow and getting a smaller belt will fix it. i have also read that someones lugging noise went away after installing some polyurethane tranny mounts.

my noise is not there anymore. i really dont know if was because of the mounts or because of the new clutch. well, in the future we'll see if the noise comes back.

also, my pedal vibration is about 90% gone. thats another problem with the getrag trannys, i believe.

Peace Out!!!
Monday, March 07, 2005 12:58 AM
for ThE03FiRe :

Peace Out!!!
Monday, March 07, 2005 2:23 PM
For the clucking noise at low speed it says to replace the front trans mount with another rear mount. So I guess the urathane mounts would solve this problem.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:50 PM
do you have the tsb? where are you getting your information?

Peace Out!!!
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:52 PM
also, what clunking noise are you talking about? the front and rear mounts are EXACTLY the same so how would a rear mount on the front make a difference?

Peace Out!!!
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 3:54 PM
Don't fill by the red cap. Use the bolt to the right of the cap in your picture.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:44 PM
All data or shopkey is where I got my info from. The noise is produced when accelerating at low speeds. A slight clunking sound. It also says to put in the mount a certain way. I printed it up a while ago. I can check on it tomorrow.

I just put in Royal purple syncromesh into the 04'. It makes it a bit easier to put into gear.
And fill it with the bolt that jonathan said.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:54 PM
Ok, Pennies in a can noise:

Change the fluid out with 2.6 qts of the B&M synthetic trick shift atf. That will fix that noise.

Rattle when lugging engine:

According to GM there is no fix for it. It is normal and i've actually heard other trannies in other cars do the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it so much.

The B&M fluid will fix the first problem. It helped my shifting alot also. Course I had the garbage saturn fluid in there so anything is better than that.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:06 PM
OK people say a million things about where to fill the damn fluid, i took things into my own hands and i went to a Pontiac GM dealership and i took that picture there and they checked the Service Manual and it says you fill the fluid from the red cap not the bolt, so all of you that do it the outher way are wrong

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:12 PM
BOTH ways will get the tranny fluid to its final destination, inside the tranny. you can do it the slow way throught the red cap, or you can do it the fast way throught the allen head bolt. its up to you. i personally prefer the quick, more time efficient way.

Peace Out!!!
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:21 PM
I prefer the way GM intended you to fill it, they always say taking short cuts is not the best way to do things, and i hate taking short cuts, i would sit there 2 hours filling the tranny, as long as im doing it the way it should be done, and my saying is if your not gonna do it right dont do it at all, i guess that explains why my car is in mint shape because i dont let anything slide

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:52 PM
The red cap is a vent, thats why it takes longer to fill the tranny with it (smaller hole). Remove the big allen headed plug near it and fill from there. I have 3 quarts B&M Trickshift in mine, shifts much smoother and is quieter.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search