trans swap help please.......... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
trans swap help please..........
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:44 AM
so anyway i know everyone always asks about theis thats not really what i am doing...i started my 5 speed swap just the other day and i have run into one semi large issue the computer out of my 97 5 speed donor car has 2 long strips for the connectors to plug in and the one on my car (which is a 96) has three little ones... and the harness out of my donor car is shot other wise i would just use it. my question is can i just use the auto computer and plug the nuetral safety switch in and leave it in the park position or will that not work i don't know that much about the computer so i don't know if it will work or not. any help would be really appreciated

thanks

Re: trans swap help please..........
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 2:35 PM
The computer will freak out when you start going down the road. You're problem is that your computer is OBD-1. You'll have to find a computer from a 96 5 Speed that was the same OBD-1, or take your computer down to the dealer with a 96 5 Speed VIN code, and have them reflash it for a 5 speed.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 4:47 AM
ok makes sense, so i can take my obd1 computer and they can reprogram it to the 5 speed.

next question is i probably have to have a vin off of a 96 5 speed with the obd1 computer though correct???

would anyone be willing to let me use the vin off of their 96 5 speed obd1????

b/c obviously my parts car is a 97 and i did find a computer out of a 96 5 speed cavalier base with a 2.2 but i had the guy e-mail me a pic of the connectors and it still was the 2 long strips.

thanks again
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 6:28 AM
or also does any one have an harness that would work with the computer out of my 97????
Sunday, May 15, 2005 1:29 AM
I've got a 96 OBD I computer sitting right here, would the numbers off of it's sticker help at all?

Serv. No. 16215830 BTRW
*86BTRWM56064LTXU*

16235123 BTRW
*86BTRWM56064LTXU*

That's what the sticker has on it (general layout) if it helps at all.
Monday, May 16, 2005 10:04 AM
i already have it done but thanks anyway i appreciate it
Friday, May 20, 2005 10:31 PM
what did you end up doing ?
Monday, May 23, 2005 4:56 AM
well sure enough when i plugged in the computer it threw a code b/c of the manual, all of the codes that were getting thrown were tranny related, so i took my car to work the next day (at a gm dealership) and we pulled the vin off of the computer in my car with a tech2 and plugged the tech2 into a pc and then we punched in a vin i found of the internet for a 5 speed and put it into the tech2 and then went back to the car and plugged the tech2 back in and downloaded the new vin into my computer in my car. about 2sec later i got in and it fired right up no problems no codes.

also before i did all of this i ended up purchasing a computer from a junkyard in traverse city mi that they said came out of a 96 base with a 5 speed and that is the computer that i had in my car when it was throwing the codes so when we pulled the vin off of my car i put it in the computer and it was a computer out of a 96 z24 with an auto. and the junkyard would work out any kind of deal what so ever, @ssholes

thats what i did
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:57 PM
so you guys just reflashed the auto pcm at the dealership? sweet I have a 5 speed to go into mine but i understand i have to weld in some different mounts. what did you have to do with the trans mounts for your swap? does the 5 speed work fin in your car with the auto harness in place or did you have to make any mods? what did you do with the clutch safety switch or was there allready a place to plug that in on the auto harness ?

99 Turbo Sunfire GT | Ram 2500 | International Rollback | Mr Hanky the Suburban
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 10:07 AM
tranny mounts are different you do have to weld on new ones...i did re-use the auto harness, the only things that need to be spliced in are the vss and the back ep light switch....oh yea and the clutch safty switch...which consists of the large yellow wire in the corner on the juncton box for the wiring, and cutting that and attach the yellow off of the switch to the loose yellow wire you just cut and the purple off of the switch to the yellow that is still attatched to the junction block.....
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 3:00 PM
Sweet thats good to know I figure ill kill the auto before i do the swap. I allready have a 99 5 speed ecu sittin so hopefully itl be simple. thanks for the info!

99 Turbo Sunfire GT | Ram 2500 | International Rollback | Mr Hanky the Suburban

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search