Do they make a B&M short shifter for my vehicle - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do they make a B&M short shifter for my vehicle
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:04 AM
I was wondering if they make a B&M short shifter for my year cavalier Z24. I have a 99 5spd and the only short shifters I seem to find are for the 2000+ cavaliers. Does anyone have a short shift kit on there 99? If you know where I could get one please tell me. Thanks.

Re: Do they make a B&M short shifter for my vehicle
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:06 AM
Yes they do. Contact Karo at carcustoms.net to order one.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:19 AM
Thanks
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 1:26 PM
Anyone done this switch on a 99 cavalier please give me an idea what i am getting myself into?
Re: Do they make a B&M short shifter for my vehicl
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 1:36 PM
I did it on my 2003 and as far as I know the only difference is in the reverse lockout. It's not too hard but you have to remove the center console to get to everything, and remember to mark your linkage cables because it's easier to adjust if you mark where it used to be.

Also I think you might have to cut a piece out of the boot frame to make clearance but not sure if that applies to your year or not.

Definately worth it.... it feels so much better all around then the stock shifter.
Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:53 AM
If you cut a piece out of your boot frame will that show when it is all finished? Are you talking about a piece from the plastic console itself?
Thursday, May 05, 2005 5:46 AM
Don't listen to him. The 95-99 shifter is entirely different and requires a bit of grinding or something on the stock shifter base.

I'm not sure of the details since I've never done one, but I know it's nothing like the 00-05 ones which are simple as pie.

You should still be able to do it yourself. Just be aware that there's some work involved.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:00 PM
It's just this simple (I have a 99 Cav myself)..........order one from Jason at www.aplusperformance.com. You'll have it in less than a week.
Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:47 PM
Hey Micky did you have to do any cutting? How long did it take to do this.
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 8:33 PM
I just installed the B&M short shifter on my 98 Z24 and it wasnt to difficult. if you have a dremel tool and a grinding wheel that would be ideal because you do have to grind a few spots. and yes you have to cut about an 1/8 inch the whole way around the boot frame (dremel tool and grinding wheel is what i used). No you cant see this hole you cut because your boot will cover it up). How long this takes you is dependant on how fast you work and with what tools. if you have a dremel it is pretty easy. It took me about an hour and this is the fist one i ever did. I got mine from Jason at www.aplusperformance.com
Thursday, May 12, 2005 12:20 PM
Hey do you have any pictures of what it looks like (during the swap...or even what the finished product looks like) if so could you post them.
Thanks

Thursday, May 12, 2005 9:32 PM
i will post pics as soon as i can. it will probably be a day or so
Sunday, May 15, 2005 1:40 PM
i got pics in my profile registry

Friday, June 03, 2005 6:51 PM
Just found B&M shifter that is supposed to work. It is their p/n 45166. If anyone has installed one already let me know how it went.
Saturday, June 04, 2005 4:47 PM
B&M 45166 = 95-99 J Bodies.

Been out for about 1 year now. Sold over 250 sets . . . . . listed on the front page of the website as well . . .

Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:39 AM
Bought mine from Karo. Father in law said it went in no prob. Intructions were easy to read and follow.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search