How to check Fluid on Auto 4spd Tranny? Anyone - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to check Fluid on Auto 4spd Tranny? Anyone
Saturday, November 26, 2005 12:35 PM
I need to check my tranny fluid and was wondering if you guys knew how to check. Why couldnt GM be cool and put a Dipstick in it I mean come on hahaha..

Thanx Charles

Re: How to check Fluid on Auto 4spd Tranny? Anyone
Saturday, November 26, 2005 5:59 PM
you have to have the vehicle raised off the ground and level and in the front of the tranny right below the harness, theres a little plug in there, you remove that and if it trickles out the level is good. and i agree realy bright idea of GM to not put in a dipstick

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, November 28, 2005 6:25 PM
Rule of thumb- if there isn't a dipstick, it doesn't need to be checked. Many import cars are like that.

Monday, November 28, 2005 8:29 PM
what if you have had a small leak for a few months and never caught it. you could be a few quarts low and burn up your tranny. thats kind of a dumb rule of thumb. you can go ahead and not check your tranny fluid but i know on mine i check it every oil change. i might do it a little to much but i'd say its worth the little bit of effort over a costly rebuild. check out this link. http://www.quality-trans.com/faq/faq8.htm scroll down about half way and it shows where the plug is and the whole nine yards.
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 8:13 AM
^^ Nice link

btw, whats the meaning below? This is on that link. Whats the difference between bottom pan removed, and complete rebuild?

Bottom pan removed………..7 liters (7.4 quarts)
New converter………………2.5 liters (2.6 quarts)
Complete rebuild……………10 liters (10.6 quarts)

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, December 03, 2005 1:37 PM
the bottom pan removal is to change your filter. thats roughly how much fluid drains out when you drop the pan. now theres still fluid in the vavle body, channel plate, pump, clutch packs, servos and all over everything. that won't drain out with a pan drop. thats why theres the difference in fluid capacities.
Monday, December 05, 2005 10:39 AM
^^ Thank you very much.. I now understand

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search