96 2.2 auto/manual swap - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 2.2 auto/manual swap
Monday, August 21, 2006 4:23 PM
I seem to have gotten the general jist of the project, and am already well under way with the project, the only stop I have come to is mounting the clutch pedal. I am not buying a new pedal assembly, but already have the motor, trans and cv shafts. Will I need a new tranny cradle for the manual?? The previous tranny was a 3 spd auto. And if so, how much are they from GM??? Motor mounts are bolted up though, and was wondering if I can either modify the existing tranny mount, or just buy a new/used one. Other than that I think I have everything else covered. So bottom line is

A) Need new trans mount???

B) How to mount clutch pedal assembly???

Oh yeah btw my name is Derek, and have been into chevy forever, and since I cant quite afford a F-Body, or similar RWD project, this will just be my DD until I get through UTI in Florida, so performance isnt a goal necessarily. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Re: 96 2.2 auto/manual swap
Monday, August 28, 2006 10:23 AM
I did the 5-speed swap on my 2000... slightly different, as it uses the Getrag trans instead of the Isuzu... but essentially the same idea.

You'll need to grind off the metal bracket for the auto trans mount... then weld in front and rear trans mounts brackets for the transmission mounts to bolt to. They are the same for all 5-speeds from 95-99... all Isuzu trans... so go to a wrecking yard and measure, measure, measure.... then tack weld to your frame, do a test fit, then weld them up nice and tight when they're in the right spots. The 00-05 cars use a different transmission (Getrag) and slightly different mounts.

For the clutch assembly... you need to pull the dash assembly to get access to the top of the firewall to drill 3 holes for the master cylinder to mount to, and the arm to go thru to the clutch pedal. You also need to mount the pedal... the holes are there, but the clips aren't.. the brake pedal is smaller on a 5 speed, and it's one assembly with the gas pedal. I went to the wrecker to buy the whole works... didn't cost me that much.

You'll also need the shifter assembly and cables. The auto shifter and cable will pop out, and the 5 speed goes in it's place. No modification necessary. You may have to modify the centre console for the shifter boot tho, I had to on the 2000 console.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:22 PM
Ok I got cv shafts, tranny mounts welded on, and clutch all ran/installed. Do I need a new wiring harness for me motor?? And if so, does it all run back to that electrical block that has a 8mm bolt going through it???? Last but not least, if so where can I find one in good shape??
Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:11 PM
You can use the auto harness

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:15 PM
^^ Ok but I noticed that the plugs for the trans are different, does that mean I have to cut//solder in the new connecters???
Friday, September 15, 2006 8:52 AM
hey i am looking to do the same undertaking can you send me and idea of time and cost so far and if possible a list of what you needed i might even swap in a 2.4 while i am at it
Thursday, January 18, 2007 4:00 PM
so the holes are there for putting the asembly in? just take out the auto crap and in with the manual?
Thursday, January 25, 2007 2:35 PM
anybody?
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:34 AM
Which assembly are you talking about?

There's a spot on the steering column brace for the clutch pedal to bolt to... but there are no holes in the firewall, so you have to drill them yourself. Measure carefully

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search