Torque Converter - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Torque Converter
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:48 AM

What type of feeling / vibration ( feed back ) does the car give you when this part starts to go.....?

My car has a slight vibration between 2000 and 6000rpms.......I just replaced the front right CV the left seems to be fine.......I have had it on many hoists and have had some top notch peole scratching their head as l left.......
Now we've narrowed it down to it not being anything relating to tires and the CVs are ok...

There is no sound at all with this vibration but you feel it mostly in the steering wheel....and only under load.....

Thoughts.....?

Re: Torque Converter
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:04 AM
cv joints normally will only be felt during exceleration. when your foot is off the peddle, you shouldnt feel it anymore. if you are feeling it all through out the ride, even when not accelerating, then i would look at something else, possible inbalance in the tires.

question though, did they replace the whole cv shat or just the joints? if they did just the joints it could be the inner cv joints going, not the outer ones.

Injection is nice but id rather be BLOWN!
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:00 PM
have the tires balanced

The one, the only, ME.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:32 PM
did you realize this after you lowered the car, i had the same problem after i lowered mine, and i also replaced the right cv shaft and that didnt fix it
Thursday, August 24, 2006 6:21 PM
04eco (theN/Aautoone) wrote:have the tires balanced

Dude, are you kidding me? That's not going to fix anything. He feels the vibration when the car is under a load, within a certain RPM range, and he even said that he has narrowed it down and the tires are not one of the possible causes. Improper tire balance is a whole different thing.

You could try to get the other shaft replaced, just because it "seems" fine, doesn't mean anything, there is more than meets the eye, and I have no idea why a person would replace one at a time, it's better to do things like that in a pair so you know that the other won't fail you 1000 miles later or something bad.

Not really sure, but the hubs could be at fault, maybe loose or something? But that might cause vibration just at all times. Could possibly be tie rod ends, ball joints.. get that stuff checked as well. Maybe some kind of transmission or motor mount at fault? I'm not trying to claim I know everything here, but those are just a few random things that come to mind, and I am in no way saying that any of these are for sure the problem.

1983 Camaro Z28
Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:30 PM

^^the only reason why l didn't do both CV's ( entire ) as the same time was because the drivers side was faulty a year and a half ago.....

I will look into the ball joints....but they seemed fine....

What feedback does the driver get from a torque converter going....?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:47 PM
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but my car seems to have a problem close to this. My problem is the vibration is in the gas pedal and only around 2000 and 2500 rpms and goes away a few seconds after the car shifts and drops rpm. It's also harder to feel it when it's warmer outside. I'm planning on at least changing the transmission fluid since I'm just about to hit 75,000 miles and maybe flush it, then change it along with the filter.
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search