3 speed...how do i make it faster? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3 speed...how do i make it faster?
Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:41 PM
Is there a specific brand of shift kit i can buy for my 99' 3 speed to make it shift better. If it had smoother or better shifts i could get a more tolerable ride and some more performance. Any advice would be great.

Re: 3 speed...how do i make it faster?
Thursday, May 08, 2008 8:44 PM
The 3 speed transmission has the longest gears, and the fewest of them. You're never going to get any kind of real "performance" out of it, so I'd just leave it alone if I were you.

----------
2000 Cavalier Coupe, 138k miles, 2.2 Auto, Silver (alive)
1999 Cavalier Sedan, 237k miles, 2.2 Auto, White (dead)
Re: 3 speed...how do i make it faster?
Friday, May 09, 2008 1:48 PM
The TH125C / 3T40 is one of the strongest, most reliable FWD transmission GM made. It's been around since '82 and has a long successful record. Although there isn't as much available today as in the past, they do still have quite a bit of potential.

Try reading 3 speed auto, finally done and finally installed by Event / Funky Bottoms(most pics don't work anymore, but good info) and Stock Torque Converters, 3 Speed Gears and more, by me. Keep one thing in mind when changing gear ratios, you will throw a P1870 DTC (TCC slipping) and kick the Torque Converter Clutch off when cruising. This can be corrected with HP Tuners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, May 09, 2008 1:49 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search